What does a train guard / conductor do ?

More
26 Sep 2018 12:19 #451 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

thesilentone wrote:

Dancingbear wrote: What else can they do when the employer won’t listen Mark?


Maybe Britain should go on-strike to make the EU agree with our terms, what do you think DB, are you not feeling a bit downtrodden ?


Not strike but maybe withold all payments.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2018 19:14 #452 by High Street

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
  • my account was hacked
More
13 Oct 2018 10:20 #453 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Anyone traveling by Train today ? have fun, the RMT shirkers are all off to the Challenge Cup Final....by Bus !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 10:42 #454 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

thesilentone wrote: Anyone traveling by Train today ? have fun, the RMT shirkers are all off to the Challenge Cup Final....by Bus !!


They’ll have a job on the challenge cup final was in August.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: CCU, NORTHERNSOUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 11:07 #455 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
I’m on my third train of the day. Perhaps you don’t know what you’re talking about?
The following user(s) Liked this post:: NORTHERNSOUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 13:37 #456 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
At least it’s raining-no sunbathing today lads.

Radio this morning stated that the new Northern carriages on order do not need guards-oh for new carriages on the Newcastle to Carlisle line.Also that talks were planned but RMT moved the agenda goalposts.

Meanwhile it’s the poor passengers who suffer whilst the RMT deluded themselves thinking they are doing all a favour.Maybe they should ask the passengers after someone independent provides the full facts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 14:15 #457 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: At least it’s raining-no sunbathing today lads.

Radio this morning stated that the new Northern carriages on order do not need guards-oh for new carriages on the Newcastle to Carlisle line.Also that talks were planned but RMT moved the agenda goalposts.

Meanwhile it’s the poor passengers who suffer whilst the RMT deluded themselves thinking they are doing all a favour.Maybe they should ask the passengers after someone independent provides the full facts.


Your quite right Andrew they don't but the minute they try to use one without a guard on board there will be picket lines at every driver depot. So let's see how that turns out then when Northern can no longer put out emergency plans because they won't know what staff they have and they don't.

The RMT will keep this dispute going till May and her Muppets are history and the renationalisation is underway and it won't be an issue any longer.

Or Northern can tell May to get [censored] and they're no longer going to carry out Tory party ideology dirty work for them before the nations travelling public kick Arriva off every single Franchise now and for the next hundred years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 14:25 #458 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
ASLEF haven’t even been approached yet, they cant get office staff in to drive trains then.
Oh, and Arriva have approached Dft to change the terms of their franchise...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 14:34 #459 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
You sound like Ned Ludd Barry-Northern have offered to retrain those affected I believe.Im afraid there are many industries which will be impacted by technology in the next few years.

My battery business supplies cells to Ocado to run their robots in their warehouses.I don’t see strikes there.

Surely it’s best to embrace technology and retrain with your employer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 14:40 #460 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Aslef settles their dispute with Southern last November-much to the ire of the RMT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2018 14:55 #461 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Only because the rep, one Mick Whelan had signed an agreement on 2011, without the knowledge of their members,that agreed to DOO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 13:31 #462 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Sitting in Costa across the way from the station-another Saturday,another futile strike day.One striker sitting in his car keeping warm-only his high vis jacket gives him away.

My train is still running though

It’s good to talk lads-get round a table and sort it out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 15:44 #463 by CCU
At 13:31 (The time you posted, not sure of your location) it’s likely most official Pickets have finished. Strict on times etc these days, I know the Carlisle line is 0600-1200 only, and only so many allowed to stand.

SAY NO TO DOO!

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 17:08 - 20 Oct 2018 17:09 #464 by DeckchairBlue
Replied by DeckchairBlue on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: You sound like Ned Ludd Barry-Northern have offered to retrain those affected I believe.Im afraid there are many industries which will be impacted by technology in the next few years.

My battery business supplies cells to Ocado to run their robots in their warehouses.I don’t see strikes there.

Surely it’s best to embrace technology and retrain with your employer?


Are warehouse workers generally well represented by unions ? Amazon ones certainly aren't, which probably explains the lack of strikes.

Surely the introduction of technology is usually so the employers can reduce their human workforce isn't it, I doubt there will be roles for all to retrain into.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 17:09 by DeckchairBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 19:46 #465 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
I got the 13.46pm train from Carlisle-late by a couple of minutes but 4 carriages do we could have had a party.

There was one guy outside the station in a high viz jacket-he was standing about but then sat in his car.If this was a picket,I doubt anyone took a blind bit of notice.And that’s my point-we are getting used to the strike with very limited disruption as you plan around it.Result is a totally futile attempt at disruption and growing contempt for the actions of a union clinging onto old working practices.The fact is driver controlled trains have been around for 30 years in this country.

As for retraining,the franchisee has said many times that NO jobs will be lost and pay is guaranteed for the length of the franchise.What other industry can you get that guarantee in this day and age?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 21:22 #466 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: I got the 13.46pm train from Carlisle-late by a couple of minutes but 4 carriages do we could have had a party.

There was one guy outside the station in a high viz jacket-he was standing about but then sat in his car.If this was a picket,I doubt anyone took a blind bit of notice.And that’s my point-we are getting used to the strike with very limited disruption as you plan around it.Result is a totally futile attempt at disruption and growing contempt for the actions of a union clinging onto old working practices.The fact is driver controlled trains have been around for 30 years in this country.

As for retraining,the franchisee has said many times that NO jobs will be lost and pay is guaranteed for the length of the franchise.What other industry can you get that guarantee in this day and age?


Well the action might not be having the desired result up there but I can assure you down here in the real world it certainly is mind you most of its due to the idiotic way Northern have planned the reduced service it seems as if they're helping the RMT to have the most effect They must have lost an absolute fortune today when 8k Leeds fans travelled to Blackburn How many of them would have travelled by train at 25 quid a pop 80 mins direct service 25 quid a pop lets say 2k Thats 50k quid Northern have thrown away today so you really do have to accept that this is a politically driven dispute otherwise Nothern would of cancelled a couple of services elsewhere and run the York Blackpool line to its normal timetable today.

Was I inconvenienced today yes doubled the length of my journeys but I put that down to Northerns incompetence to run trains on lines that matter and buses on those that don't

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 21:23 - 20 Oct 2018 21:24 #467 by CCU
Well if it was Carlisle it wasn’t anything to do with the official Picket Line as that was only on until noon, as per local rules. You’d notice the Picket Line as there’s several large banners, usually by where the old toilets were. They don’t wear Orange Hi-Viz on them either, so it’s likely someone completely unconnected, often is folk kicking about from all manor of companies!

Photo from this morning off the RMT Social Media:


Win or Lose, Up The Blues!
Last edit: 20 Oct 2018 21:24 by CCU.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 21:33 #468 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Why do they knock off at noon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 21:39 #469 by ParcelPete
Replied by ParcelPete on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: Why do they knock off at noon?


Chelsea v Man Utd ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 21:39 #470 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
That would be the bus co ordinator.

As said many times before, the dispute isn’t about jobs or money, it’s about safety.
Wait til Northern finally approach ASLEF........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 21:49 #471 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
We shall see-best to sort it out by talking before the new rolling stock arrives

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 22:47 #472 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
The new rolling stock will be in service in a few months. No communication from Northern that they need to discuss changing drivers’ T&C’s.
Still asking Failing about changing the terms of the franchise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 22:59 #473 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: We shall see-best to sort it out by talking before the new rolling stock arrives


The new rolling stock is already here or at least the start of it is currently undergoing mileage accumulation testing with loads more units at the aluminium plant of Anglesey waiting to start theirs once the test unit meets its enhanced targets.

The problem for Northern is that the route the first of those Hybrid units is likely to go into service on is Blackpool to York on which no way can they operate it without a conventional guard but we.ll soon know because at a couple of stations on the Lancs/Yorks border theres currently a lot of work going on to extend platforms etc so it won't take long for those in the know to spot I theres any extra eqpt installed that looks as if its there to facilitate DOO but if its as is thought they.ll have to introduce those units on a route that is probably a long way off being ready for DOO and thereby losing what Andrew sees as the opportunity to use the introduction of the new units as a watershed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 08:07 #474 by CCU

Laffy wrote: Why do they knock off at noon?


They don’t ‘knock off’, they observe the rules regarding Picketing which were updated in late 2016 I think it was?

Strict rules on times, number and methods allowed. I think at Carlisle it can be from 0600-1200, limited in number from a safety point of view and there’s a ‘Picket Supervisor’ who is identifiable and responsible for ensuring any protest is ‘peaceful, does not cause obstruction and is safe and in line with the Picket code’. Hence why there’s usually a small number with some flags and leaflets, going about business in a respectful way given the Station is still open for everyday business. Gone are the days of a baying mob around an upturned oil drum with flames coming out!

As for rolling stock, the only difference you’ll see on the Tyne Valley Line is the dreadful Pacers eventually going. Refurbished 156’s all the way unless by some miracle a few 158’s appear!

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 10:42 #475 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Laffy wrote: We shall see-best to sort it out by talking before the new rolling stock arrives


The new rolling stock is already here or at least the start of it is currently undergoing mileage accumulation testing with loads more units at the aluminium plant of Anglesey waiting to start theirs once the test unit meets its enhanced targets.

The problem for Northern is that the route the first of those Hybrid units is likely to go into service on is Blackpool to York on which no way can they operate it without a conventional guard but we.ll soon know because at a couple of stations on the Lancs/Yorks border theres currently a lot of work going on to extend platforms etc so it won't take long for those in the know to spot I theres any extra eqpt installed that looks as if its there to facilitate DOO but if its as is thought they.ll have to introduce those units on a route that is probably a long way off being ready for DOO and thereby losing what Andrew sees as the opportunity to use the introduction of the new units as a watershed.


No platform equipment is required, the bodyside CCTV is used, and drivers are expected to view all the doors on the screen the size of an iPad, divided into however many doors there are. Low light, snow, fog, uncleaned lens, sun glare have all been reported, but as on Peter ‘get the hell out of my industry’ Wilkinson doesn’t care about passengers safety, only ££££, l’m glad you feel like you would know what to do on a train full of drunken louts, an accident when the driver is incapacitated, or getting trapped in the doors. Guards Zee and McGhee from Liverpool will gladly disagree.

Rule 55, Bobby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 15:59 #476 by Flatcap
Replied by Flatcap on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: I got the 13.46pm train from Carlisle-late by a couple of minutes but 4 carriages do we could have had a party.

There was one guy outside the station in a high viz jacket-he was standing about but then sat in his car.If this was a picket,I doubt anyone took a blind bit of notice.And that’s my point-we are getting used to the strike with very limited disruption as you plan around it.Result is a totally futile attempt at disruption and growing contempt for the actions of a union clinging onto old working practices.The fact is driver controlled trains have been around for 30 years in this country.

As for retraining,the franchisee has said many times that NO jobs will be lost and pay is guaranteed for the length of the franchise.What other industry can you get that guarantee in this day and age?


I would be extremely worried if the driver wasn't in control of the train. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
  • my account was hacked
More
21 Oct 2018 16:29 - 21 Oct 2018 16:52 #477 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

CCU wrote:

Laffy wrote: Why do they knock off at noon?


They don’t ‘knock off’, they observe the rules regarding Picketing which were updated in late 2016 I think it was?

Strict rules on times, number and methods allowed. I think at Carlisle it can be from 0600-1200, limited in number from a safety point of view and there’s a ‘Picket Supervisor’ who is identifiable and responsible for ensuring any protest is ‘peaceful, does not cause obstruction and is safe and in line with the Picket code’. Hence why there’s usually a small number with some flags and leaflets, going about business in a respectful way given the Station is still open for everyday business. Gone are the days of a baying mob around an upturned oil drum with flames coming out!

As for rolling stock, the only difference you’ll see on the Tyne Valley Line is the dreadful Pacers eventually going. Refurbished 156’s all the way unless by some miracle a few 158’s appear!


C'mon now brothers, this is not on !!

What if one of those poor hard-working men needed to go pee-pee, where are the facilities between 0600 and 01200 ? You know, on a building site, or long distance marathon you need potties everywhere, c'mon this is about safety. it's not safe to go round in wet shreddies smelling of pee-pee, is it ?

What about Counselling for if any of those, (what are they called again) Oh, yes passengers lets rip with a few home truths, it could well cause long-term psychological damage to our members or PTSD, and what if anyone swears, that's against rules and is naughty. Is their a counselor or cleric or priest nearby ?

What if it rains and it gets on someone's chest ? What safety clothing is provided, and does it meet up to BS EN specification, has anyone done a risk assessment on the site and is there any chuddy that could stick on your shoes ?

What about those banners, are they made from fire retardant material ? Oh, god what if there is a fire, is anyone trained ? What if anyone is injured, who's the first aider ?

This all looks a bit dodgy to me Brothers, I think you should consult the Union to see if this meets our rules, I mean anything could happen.

In the meantime, if we can ask the driver to open the door, we can all wait in the car.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2018 16:52 by thesilentone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 19:41 #478 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

High Street wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Laffy wrote: We shall see-best to sort it out by talking before the new rolling stock arrives


The new rolling stock is already here or at least the start of it is currently undergoing mileage accumulation testing with loads more units at the aluminium plant of Anglesey waiting to start theirs once the test unit meets its enhanced targets.

The problem for Northern is that the route the first of those Hybrid units is likely to go into service on is Blackpool to York on which no way can they operate it without a conventional guard but we.ll soon know because at a couple of stations on the Lancs/Yorks border theres currently a lot of work going on to extend platforms etc so it won't take long for those in the know to spot I theres any extra eqpt installed that looks as if its there to facilitate DOO but if its as is thought they.ll have to introduce those units on a route that is probably a long way off being ready for DOO and thereby losing what Andrew sees as the opportunity to use the introduction of the new units as a watershed.


No platform equipment is required, the bodyside CCTV is used, and drivers are expected to view all the doors on the screen the size of an iPad, divided into however many doors there are. Low light, snow, fog, uncleaned lens, sun glare have all been reported, but as on Peter ‘get the hell out of my industry’ Wilkinson doesn’t care about passengers safety, only ££££, l’m glad you feel like you would know what to do on a train full of drunken louts, an accident when the driver is incapacitated, or getting trapped in the doors. Guards Zee and McGhee from Liverpool will gladly disagree.

Rule 55, Bobby.


But thats the whole point platform eqpt is required and is at the minute now being demanded on lines down South that have had various versions of DOO for years for exactly the reasons you mention or can you explain how the driver is supposed to see the back of the train when its positioned on a curved platform particularly where the new trains are only just going to fit into the platforms anyway. At the minute at Accy on the Todmorden Curve services we are getting a lot of trains made up of 1 x 2 car 150 and 1 x 2 car 142 pacer and I can tell you not only does it take the guard and the driver but also a member of platform staff to dispatch the train safely and when there is no staff on duty drivers pull the train in 15 to 20 yds further along the platform than they should on the theory that its better to lose the use of the front set of doors than it is to depart without being able to see the back of the train because of the bend going onto the viaduct.

So at the minute, I can see here being stikes on every company that wants to have DOO without platform eqpt and who the hell is going to pay for that ?

Theres nil chance of those new hybrid units going into use on the York Blackpool route[ which is the route they're currently throwing money at to make it happen with the platform extensions etc in the Calder Valley etc and without this issue an absolutely ideal route to show off the hybrid train with an electric section at either end and a diesel bit in the middle ]before anywhere else without proper guards on board

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 20:13 #479 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
There are no guards on the Tube or the DLR-why do Northern trains need them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 20:16 #480 by CCU

Laffy wrote: There are no guards on the Tube or the DLR-why do Northern trains need them?


Because, as has been said several times already on this Thread, the Rule Book dictates that in most areas they’re needed...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 20:19 #481 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: There are no guards on the Tube or the DLR-why do Northern trains need them?


Because those systems were designed and built to operate without them The Cumbrian Coast line or indeed 95% of Northerns other lines weren't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 20:40 #482 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
But the new range of trains are-that’s the point.I wonder whether they had the same arguments when they invented the wheel?

The technology is here and now to allow a guard to see the entire platform and train.They just need to spend the money to deploy it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2018 20:42 #483 by CCU
Good luck securing the money needed to completely re-signal almost all of the Northern English railway network!

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2018 22:16 #484 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
This line should never have been closed down.


The following user(s) Liked this post:: CCU, Arragorn, howoldboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2018 23:13 - 22 Oct 2018 23:16 #485 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Alan wrote: This line should never have been closed down.



It was the line featured on the abandoned lines programme on Channel five a week gone Friday which put paid to the story that it would be dead easy to reopen.

But the rebuilding/reopening of the Borders line proves that it can be done and can be a success and i.d say of all the possible lines listed for reopening this one must have just about the strongest business case due to the tourism potential.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2018 23:16 by NORTHERNSOUL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 02:25 #486 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
All new trains have bodyside CCTV, relaying to a tiny screen in the cab. There is no need for any platform equipment for DOO. That’s the whole point of it.
The cameras have no field of vision so cannot see anybody running and falling down the gap, unless they do it at the doors. Meanwhile, the driver has to drive the train, how he’s supposed to do this whilst checking the CCTV upto 4mph is anybody’s guess. Still, it’s not Grayling that’s going to end up in court,like those two Merseyrail guards. Even in the RAIB report above, it mentions the drivers’ workload was too much for one person.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 08:02 #487 by DeckchairBlue
Replied by DeckchairBlue on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: But the new range of trains are-that’s the point.I wonder whether they had the same arguments when they invented the wheel?

The technology is here and now to allow a guard to see the entire platform and train.They just need to spend the money to deploy it


It's just Health and Safety gone mad isn't it.

Oh wait, it's not, it's realistic concern for the safety of the travelling public. Bugger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 08:59 #488 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Well the Rail Standards Board signed DOO off so who do you believe-militant RMT or a government body formed after the Hatfield disaster I think.

South West at it today-more misery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 09:37 #489 by CCU

Laffy wrote: Well the Rail Standards Board signed DOO off so who do you believe-militant RMT or a government body formed after the Hatfield disaster I think.

South West at it today-more misery


Formed in 2003 as a result of the public enquiry into the 1999 Ladbroke Grove disaster. Hatfield in 2000 gave its formation some more urgency.

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 09:47 #490 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

Laffy wrote: Well the Rail Standards Board signed DOO off so who do you believe-militant RMT or a government body formed after the Hatfield disaster I think.

South West at it today-more misery


On this thread I tend to believe what High Street and CCU say.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
  • my account was hacked
More
23 Oct 2018 09:55 #491 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?

DeckchairBlue wrote:

Laffy wrote: But the new range of trains are-that’s the point.I wonder whether they had the same arguments when they invented the wheel?

The technology is here and now to allow a guard to see the entire platform and train.They just need to spend the money to deploy it


It's just Health and Safety gone mad isn't it.

Oh wait, it's not, it's realistic concern for the safety of the travelling public. Bugger.



Lets kill the myth this has anything to do with safety, the safest, fastest trains in the World are driver only. It's all about power, not jobs as no jobs are affected other than changing the role from safety critical to train supervisor.

The railways need to update and bring in new technology and ways of operating to improve efficiency, ASLEF and the RMT are stuck in the past - Institutionalised Bully Boys with an agenda, the worst case scenario.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 12:15 #492 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
I’m with you.Bob Crow was a brilliant Union man who did what he was supposed to do-look after his members.He got respect for doing it in the face of all manner of situations,including ignoring common sense.But he did look after his members.

This isn’t about safety-it’s about protecting jobs,a case strengthened by the poor infrastructure.Neither side looks smart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 12:23 #493 by CCU
Not about safety?

I hope you’re never on a train on the Tyne Valley that hits a fallen tree in the dark that incapacitates the Driver with no second staff on board leaving the passengers to fend for their themselves in a section with known poor mobile signal...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 12:45 #494 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
I think the same risk applies when you are driving along the a69-without a guard.Or walking in the Quayside on a Friday night at midnight-probably more dangerous.

My farm runs down to the Tyne valley rail and there are no trees overhanging-the bigger risk is a land slip which happened a couple of years ago at Riding Mill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 12:51 - 23 Oct 2018 12:52 #495 by CCU
Just because there are no trees near yourself doesn’t mean there isn’t elsewhere along the line!

There was a 50ft tree blocked the line near to Haydon Bridge a fortnight ago, luckily it was the middle of the day, spotted and dealt with quickly. Next time it may be late evening and not so lucky...


Win or Lose, Up The Blues!
Last edit: 23 Oct 2018 12:52 by CCU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
  • my account was hacked
More
23 Oct 2018 13:28 #496 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Let's invent risks, what happens if you stick your head out of the Window just as you pass under a bridge. What happens if someone drops a piano off a bridge, oh, and of course that damned lightening !!

Come on, be real, this is about the Republican Bully Boys and their own personal agenda.

"Can't see round corners on platforms" it's ridiculous some of the bxxsxit being spouted !! Drowning Man Syndrome I'm afraid.......

What are the RMT going to do when the leaders are so fat they cannot run, or fasten their collar properly, blame the Management for over-feeding the fat-lazy bully boys ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 13:36 #497 by CCU
Probably can’t see a full train on certain platforms at Newcastle and York given there well documented curvature!

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 13:40 #498 by markredfox73
Replied by markredfox73 on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
Im still waiting for an answer to how is someone in a wheelchair going to get onto a train on their own? ...are they to come with their own ramp?

How can a person be punished on a train for not paying a fare when there is actually nowhere to pay... and that includes a machine bring fkd.And dont use a phone app as an alternative..not all use apps.

Virgin still has a conductor on all their trains that takes fares as and when as well as being informative...




Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Mullen103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 14:08 #499 by High Street
Replied by High Street on topic What does a train guard / conductor do ?
The answer is they have to book 24 hours in advance, not very PRM friendly. I believe various disabled groups are sitting quietly until 1st January 2020.
Perhaps if Laffy knows the existence of RSSB, you could spend a lot of time reading the rule book, which has been developed over many many years, and more the role of the guard in them, or just stick to telling us how rich he is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 14:21 #500 by CCU
Post 500. I’ve probably already posted this but it’s worth showing again:


Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.978 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.