Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

  • chedderbob247
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
29 Jul 2019 21:20 #51 by chedderbob247
Replied by chedderbob247 on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

CCU wrote: Do you forget our 96/97 Promotion winning team?

Goals shared around the team - Archdeacon, Walling, Delap, Peacock, Hayward, Conway, Aspinall and Smart

Don’t always need an out and out goalscorer...


Check your dates lad. 96/97 is over 20 years ago. It is highly unlikely that this team will ever be compared to that team.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • CCU
  • CCU's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
29 Jul 2019 21:22 #52 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I’m well aware it’s over 20yrs ago. My point is teams can do well without one player taking the burden of scoring...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 21:22 #53 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

RagingBlue wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: What does it matter he’s a Scunthorpe reject or cast off by a team in the same division? Football is littered with stories of players failing at clubs but going onto be a success somewhere else, or players not fitting in or settling at clubs. Doesn’t mean you should write someone off.

I wonder if Yeovil fans were complaining about Carlisle reject Paddy Madden after he started banging in goals for them or Bradford fans complaining about another cast off when they made a fortune out of Nakhi Wells. Give the lad a chance.


Being from Scunthorpe isn't the problem, it's the fact it's a loan signing with an option to recall in 5 months time. I'd love him to bang in 10 goals in that time but then he'll just go back there and we're having to recruit again.


I’m not talking about the loan recall option, something I’m not too happy about either, I’m talking about the people complaining about where he’s come from.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 21:24 #54 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

chedderbob247 wrote: Then great. But if that is what you think fans hope for from a striker, then you are living on a different planet.


I don’t think many had a issue with Jabo and that was the type of player he was. A focal point that brought others into play.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Zebby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 21:28 #55 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I’m with ragingblue on this. Him being not good enough for Scunthorpe isn’t an issue. Plenty of players hav been shit 1 place then good somewhere else.

The issue is that despite the fact that last season the 6 month loans of Sowerby and Nadesan, as well as the January recall clause in Jerry Yates’ season loan that totally halted our season, we appear to be setting ourselves up for a repeat January again. I was under the impression that this season we’d only be entertaining the idea of full season loans with no recall options (like the Thomas deal). I’m sure Holdsworth even said something along these lines in his 6 part documentary.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 21:35 #56 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Well we can conclude the punt up the park tactic is out the window-this guy is 5ft 7 but carries a lot of muscle at 80kg.

Is he our first Nigerian player?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • CCU
  • CCU's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
29 Jul 2019 21:51 #57 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

Laffy wrote: Is he our first Nigerian player?


Kelvin Etuhu...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bluefox1963
  • Away
  • Ball Boy
  • Ball Boy
More
29 Jul 2019 22:02 #58 by Bluefox1963

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 22:37 #59 by orfc
Replied by orfc on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Remember Paddy Madden scored about 15 goals on loan at Yeovil and in January we sold him for about 20K rather than recall him. Maybe our board think other clubs are as daft as them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 23:08 #60 by carwash
Replied by carwash on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

CCU wrote:

Laffy wrote: Is he our first Nigerian player?


Kelvin Etuhu...


I'd say Tom Taiwo as he was eligible to play for Nigeria from his grandfather.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 23:09 #61 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Madden wasn't keen on Abbott and literally wouldn't come back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 23:24 #62 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

carwash wrote:

CCU wrote:

Laffy wrote: Is he our first Nigerian player?


Kelvin Etuhu...


I'd say Tom Taiwo as he was eligible to play for Nigeria from his grandfather.


Tom Taiwo isn’t Nigerian.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 23:36 #63 by orfc
Replied by orfc on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

nobbyblue wrote: Madden wasn't keen on Abbott and literally wouldn't come back.


Yeah, I heard that, but how come it doesn't ever work for us? Our loanees last January didn't sound keen to go back to their parent clubs (would you go back to Driftwood Town to be managed by a jailbird?), Yet they all did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • chedderbob247
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
30 Jul 2019 00:40 #64 by chedderbob247
Replied by chedderbob247 on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

Dancingbear wrote:

chedderbob247 wrote: Then great. But if that is what you think fans hope for from a striker, then you are living on a different planet.


I don’t think many had a issue with Jabo and that was the type of player he was. A focal point that brought others into play.


I would agree with you, if it wasn’t for the fact that Jabo also has an excellent strike rate for us. Far bette than the 4 goals a season that was aforementioned.

A four goal a season striker that assists 25 goals literally doesn’t exist. Even if this guy was one - he would be recalled in January anyways as was previously stated.

The best possible outcome for this loan is that the guy plays fantastically well. He then inevitably goes back to his parent club and we can attract a better calibre of player again (a la Callum O Hare as I have already stated)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 03:41 #65 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Still wondering why we didn't pick up shaun Miller. Tried, tested, cheap and fits the system. Oh well, let's hope this lad bangs them in. At least we have a striker now, still awful light up front though
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Wukkie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 06:03 #66 by CarlisleWhite
Replied by CarlisleWhite on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Is there a way that a meaningful message can be got to Holdsworth and Pressley that no one belives a single word they say?
Striker loan from a prem/championship club, only 12 month deals so no recalls, all total horseshit.
Why dont they just shut the [censored] up and build a team capable of getting into the play offs. Should be easy to do with their "extensive contacts".
Maybe we could set up a fans trust who could get the point over to them???
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Wukkie, Dancingbear, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 07:32 #67 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I was expecting a few Cypriots in on trial seeing as Elvis was managing there. Even Sheridan managed a Greek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 07:58 #68 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

CarlisleWhite wrote: Is there a way that a meaningful message can be got to Holdsworth and Pressley that no one belives a single word they say?
Striker loan from a prem/championship club, only 12 month deals so no recalls, all total horseshit.
Why dont they just shut the [censored] up and build a team capable of getting into the play offs. Should be easy to do with their "extensive contacts".
Maybe we could set up a fans trust who could get the point over to them???


You could email him: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 09:06 #69 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

chedderbob247 wrote:

Dancingbear wrote:

chedderbob247 wrote: Then great. But if that is what you think fans hope for from a striker, then you are living on a different planet.


I don’t think many had a issue with Jabo and that was the type of player he was. A focal point that brought others into play.


I would agree with you, if it wasn’t for the fact that Jabo also has an excellent strike rate for us. Far bette than the 4 goals a season that was aforementioned.

A four goal a season striker that assists 25 goals literally doesn’t exist. Even if this guy was one - he would be recalled in January anyways as was previously stated.

The best possible outcome for this loan is that the guy plays fantastically well. He then inevitably goes back to his parent club and we can attract a better calibre of player again (a la Callum O Hare as I have already stated)


Yeah I don’t like the recall option one bit.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 09:25 #70 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Best possible outcome is that he does alright for us up to January, nothing special - a handful of goals? Well enough that we're happy to keep him, not so well that Scunny want him back for the second half of the season.

January transfer window SLAMS shut, he's finally settled and he gets another 20 before the end of the season.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: kickergold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 12:24 #71 by the Fox
Replied by the Fox on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I’ve got it. Scores a few goals upto Start of December. Then we drop him for December so it all goes quite before the transfer window. Keep him off the radar then window closes he comes back refreshed scores enough goals that he’s league 2 top scorer and the blues are promoted. Sorted!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 12:31 #72 by SeepBladder
Replied by SeepBladder on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I’ve got it. He scores 20 goals by the end of the year and our new owners buy him off Scunthorpe in January on a 3 year contract. Sorted.

Bring back the Edit button.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Flatcap
  • Flatcap's Avatar
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
30 Jul 2019 12:48 #73 by Flatcap
Replied by Flatcap on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Or:
He scores 25 goals by the end of December and Scunthorpe recall him. Then as we will be top of the league, pot hunting strikers will be queuing up top come here.

Unrealistic? True. but as likely as the other options mentioned above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 12:50 #74 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
It's a romantic thought but we have had almost exactly the same situations twice in recent years in replacing Wyke and Nadesan/Yates. We failed spectacularly twice to find a suitable replacement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2019 13:00 #75 by KentBlue
Replied by KentBlue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
My two pence on the situation, for what it's worth...

There has undoubtedly been an unprecedented amount of bed-wetting going on this pre-season. Namely due to the general disdain for David Holdsworth and his crafty cockney claims, but also due to the unfortunate gap between some of our (very) early transfer business and the current activity.

In reality, most of this situation should not be a surprise, nor a cause for any real panic IMO. For those who could be arsed hearing out SP and DH last season, it was made quite clear that the policy for 2019/20 was going to consist of the following:

1) Budget cuts.
2) Smaller playing squad.
3) Defenders coming in on permanents.
4) Attackers coming in on loans.

Now, it's a different matter as to whether you agree with this approach, but acting surprised when it is put into practice is a little far-fetched.

I understand that the sale of McCarron and some rather contradictory quotes from DH in recent months re: budget have left some thinking we should be splashing more cash than present. However, it seems to me this is unlikely to happen, given the well documented presence of EWM in improving the balance sheets. I think the cash is probably there for the right player, but I can understand SP's reluctance to spend it given the comments aimed at his predecessors recently. All that spending for the sake of it would do is ratchet up the pressure on himself.

I am not going to sit here and argue that Holdsworth hasn't made some questionable claims, or that he should be deserving of any praise. He has cocked up on a few occasions this summer. I actually rate our transfer window so far around 5/10. It could go either way with the final 4 bodies. They – DH and SP – should learn from the mistakes made in naming targets/ expected arrival dates purely to appease impatient fans. All this has done is p*ss more folk off when things haven't come off as suggested they would.

On the squad...our defensive additions look more than capable of forming a good tier four unit, and most would agree you don't need a plethora of talent to score goals in this league. In fact, if we can get a couple of more tenacious midfielders in to help Jones out, and the two touted forwards arrive, I think we'll have an intriguing squad – filled with some talented technical footballers and young, hungry types with potential. I see no reason why the midfielders and forwards won't arrive, given SP has always said they will wait as long as needed.

As for the forward situation, I agree the club deserves some stick – but not as much as is being dished currently. To not have at least one forward in the building for the last couple of friendlies is an obvious failure, and does make our first 3–5 fixtures a trickier task. However, I would sooner wait for the right players than rush in the wrong ones. We saw how late Nadesan and Yates arrived last time, so the quality of player is available for sure.

Regarding this lad Olomola. The recall clause is obviously a kick in the teeth, but other than that, I think it appears good business. Track record in the league, pacy, strong, still developing. A change of scene will probably do the lad good. I would suggest that they have tried their best to avoid the recall clause, but given the need for a forward in, they have compromised. I hope the club have learnt from Yates and Nadesan enough in that they work out the likely outcome of the clause in good time. If a departure seems likely in November, we should be plotting our next move way ahead of an inevitable departure.

If he hits the ground running with a couple of goals in August, this compromise will look a shrewd move. If he isn't a success quickly, it will look like a bad call. I wish him the very best. Also, one would have to assume our remaining two forward arrivals are less likely to have recall clauses in their deals given we are willing to hold out a little longer to reach an agreement. I like the profile of this guy and think he will prove to be a handy 2nd/3rd forward option for us.

Alas, we'll soon see whether it's the crisis season many are fearing. I'm ready for the talking to stop and the action to start now!!

Keep the faith. UTB :)
The following user(s) Liked this post:: biblioclasm, CCU, bejustandfearprokas, nomadblue2, RagingBlue and 2 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 08:19 - 31 Jul 2019 08:21 #76 by HuntingHorn
Replied by HuntingHorn on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
People underwhelmed by this lad signing...?

Football isn't that straightforward.
There are more than enough reasons for him to be let go by Scunthorpe:
His face might not fit, he may not be what the manager there wants, he might be a wage they don't need because he's not what the manager wants, he could be victim of them just having better players they trust more, is can be something as simple as him once being sent off or a bit lacklustre in training for a week and the manager taking the hump with him.

That doesn't mean he's shit, it may not work out at Scunthorpe for him but he could well come here and turn out to be another Karl Hawley.
Time will tell but don't write him off without even kicking a ball!!

The recall clause is a worry if he does hit the ground running but i guess that also means that Scunny haven't written him off at all.

I'm more concerned about the lack of the midfielder and the fabled 'Championship Striker' that haven't materialised.....

It's better to be silent and assumed a fool than to speak and remove all doubt
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 08:21 by HuntingHorn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 08:39 - 31 Jul 2019 08:46 #77 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
It makes no odds where we sign players from to be honest and I can't see why people are getting worked up because he's from Scunthorpe,

He had a good spell the first time at Yeovil and scored 3 in 3 for Southampton in the Checkatrade as a young lad.

Good finish here. I've a feeling he might be a good signing.

Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 08:46 by nobbyblue.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Sammy Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 09:05 #78 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
There really aren't enough people criticising the fact that he's signed from Scunthorpe for this many people to be saying it doesn't matter that he's come from Scunthorpe.

It's almost solely the January clause that is causing the problem.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: kells

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 09:17 #79 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
And those criticising he’s from Scunthorpe are only doing so on the premise they were told we were getting a forward from a championship club. Hopefully we still will.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 09:26 #80 by RagingBlue
Replied by RagingBlue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I've watched quite a few videos of the lad and still can't quite figure out if he's left or right footed?

I'd guess left but either way he looks handy with both feet, quick and although he's short seems to shrug off plenty of defenders.

As others have said, could be a handy player for us. We've got another 2 strikers on the way and we've already got 4 players who can play across the front 3, should have a few options eventually. We need one to be a 'target man' type though, just so we have the ability to mix it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 09:33 #81 by Moylesey
Replied by Moylesey on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
It should be perfectly acceptable to criticise someone for coming from Scunthorpe in this day and age.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: CCU, KentBlue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 11:45 #82 by BlueBag
Replied by BlueBag on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

Laffy wrote: You want him to score a load of goals but also be crap so he isn’t recalled.Is it me?


Yes, please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 12:58 #83 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I shouted his name out loud and my furniture started floating round the room
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Mullen103, Wukkie, heilkmoon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 13:19 #84 by PaddockRanger
Replied by PaddockRanger on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

nobbyblue wrote: Madden wasn't keen on Abbott and literally wouldn't come back.



I think it was more to do with his form, pitch time and sewing his seeds with a girl from Yeovil. No way was he coming back.....but to be sold for a measly £25,000. Due to the add on's included, Madden did not play championship football......instead he transferred to Scunny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 13:24 #85 by CarlisleWhite
Replied by CarlisleWhite on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

KentBlue wrote: My two pence on the situation, for what it's worth...

There has undoubtedly been an unprecedented amount of bed-wetting going on this pre-season. Namely due to the general disdain for David Holdsworth and his crafty cockney claims, but also due to the unfortunate gap between some of our (very) early transfer business and the current activity.

In reality, most of this situation should not be a surprise, nor a cause for any real panic IMO. For those who could be arsed hearing out SP and DH last season, it was made quite clear that the policy for 2019/20 was going to consist of the following:

1) Budget cuts.
2) Smaller playing squad.
3) Defenders coming in on permanents.
4) Attackers coming in on loans.

Now, it's a different matter as to whether you agree with this approach, but acting surprised when it is put into practice is a little far-fetched.

I understand that the sale of McCarron and some rather contradictory quotes from DH in recent months re: budget have left some thinking we should be splashing more cash than present. However, it seems to me this is unlikely to happen, given the well documented presence of EWM in improving the balance sheets. I think the cash is probably there for the right player, but I can understand SP's reluctance to spend it given the comments aimed at his predecessors recently. All that spending for the sake of it would do is ratchet up the pressure on himself.

I am not going to sit here and argue that Holdsworth hasn't made some questionable claims, or that he should be deserving of any praise. He has cocked up on a few occasions this summer. I actually rate our transfer window so far around 5/10. It could go either way with the final 4 bodies. They – DH and SP – should learn from the mistakes made in naming targets/ expected arrival dates purely to appease impatient fans. All this has done is p*ss more folk off when things haven't come off as suggested they would.

On the squad...our defensive additions look more than capable of forming a good tier four unit, and most would agree you don't need a plethora of talent to score goals in this league. In fact, if we can get a couple of more tenacious midfielders in to help Jones out, and the two touted forwards arrive, I think we'll have an intriguing squad – filled with some talented technical footballers and young, hungry types with potential. I see no reason why the midfielders and forwards won't arrive, given SP has always said they will wait as long as needed.

As for the forward situation, I agree the club deserves some stick – but not as much as is being dished currently. To not have at least one forward in the building for the last couple of friendlies is an obvious failure, and does make our first 3–5 fixtures a trickier task. However, I would sooner wait for the right players than rush in the wrong ones. We saw how late Nadesan and Yates arrived last time, so the quality of player is available for sure.

Regarding this lad Olomola. The recall clause is obviously a kick in the teeth, but other than that, I think it appears good business. Track record in the league, pacy, strong, still developing. A change of scene will probably do the lad good. I would suggest that they have tried their best to avoid the recall clause, but given the need for a forward in, they have compromised. I hope the club have learnt from Yates and Nadesan enough in that they work out the likely outcome of the clause in good time. If a departure seems likely in November, we should be plotting our next move way ahead of an inevitable departure.

If he hits the ground running with a couple of goals in August, this compromise will look a shrewd move. If he isn't a success quickly, it will look like a bad call. I wish him the very best. Also, one would have to assume our remaining two forward arrivals are less likely to have recall clauses in their deals given we are willing to hold out a little longer to reach an agreement. I like the profile of this guy and think he will prove to be a handy 2nd/3rd forward option for us.

Alas, we'll soon see whether it's the crisis season many are fearing. I'm ready for the talking to stop and the action to start now!!

Keep the faith. UTB :)

No offence, but what a strange post. Could almost have come from the club, with the diversionary tactics thrown in to boot. Shows just how far the expectation levels have been managed down by this shower.
Going into the first game of the season (not the friendlies as you put it) with one second or third choice striker as you also put it, is just crazy. It just shows the "strategy" of waiting for borrowed players as strikers just does not work.
McCarron money was not expected, although clearly hoped for by the way they tried to generate a sale, so all of that money should have went to getting a striker or two on a contract instead of another coach.
You seem to say it is okay to write off almost 10% of the season (or a trickier task as you put it) - we could be 6 or 8 points off the play offs by then.
Eight days left to realise the folly of the policy of relying totally on loan signings, and getting at least one of our own strikers in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 13:40 #86 by lummy8
Replied by lummy8 on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I was talking to my mate who was involved with Fleetwood for a few years about the new coach we have, he seems to think he is still under contract to Fleetwood, was loaned to Crawley, and now loaned to us, we only pay a fraction of wages. This may have been mentioned in other threads so I apologise if I have missed it.

So the McCarron money would not have went on him I don think. My mate could be wrong like...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 13:42 #87 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I stopped reading it as soon as I saw the term "bed-wetting".

Sure people can go over the top a bit when complaining about certain things but we're 3 days away from the start of the season and we only have 1 striker.

There's certainly time to sort that situation out but we could have started the league season badly and already be out of the league cup by the time we've got a full squad together.

I don't think we have a bad team at the moment and a couple of good additions could make us into contenders but folk have every right to complain at how ill prepared the squad is going into the new season.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, Wukkie, crunchblue, heilkmoon, RagingBlue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Flatcap
  • Flatcap's Avatar
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
31 Jul 2019 14:07 #88 by Flatcap
Replied by Flatcap on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I've done so much bed wetting it has saved me a packet on buying a water bed.

Stinks a bit, but with a lot of the wife's perfume sprinkled on it is bearable. Need a shower first thing in the morning though, after getting off it, but the chloroform effect helps me to get a good night's kip.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: crunchblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 14:12 #89 by markredfox73
Replied by markredfox73 on topic Re:Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Bed wetting....well its going on for good reason

Personally ive had to change the matress constantly with this charade on show recently... but one day i might actually shit the bed when all these [censored] just sod off and someone comes and buys the club along with a clean broomstick.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 14:34 #90 by Laffy
Replied by Laffy on topic Re:Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Are you doing Lanercost in 1/9 Mark?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Flatcap
  • Flatcap's Avatar
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
31 Jul 2019 14:49 #91 by Flatcap
Replied by Flatcap on topic Re:Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Wife's going 'airless over me using her scent on the 'water bed'..
Trouble is deodorant doesn't have the same effect.

Note the use of the words 'airless and deodorant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 15:17 - 31 Jul 2019 15:21 #92 by markredfox73
Replied by markredfox73 on topic Re:Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Laffy... aye i am signed up for it all 80 miles of hell..getting a new bike on friday.. on a very tight budget so will make do with another boardman...also signed up for solway spinner next week too.

There is also a big event organised by GNAAS in october... 75 and 150 mile challenges... thinking about it pushing the limits of my capabilities

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 15:21 by markredfox73.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 15:53 #93 by KentBlue
Replied by KentBlue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

CarlisleWhite wrote: No offence, but what a strange post. Could almost have come from the club, with the diversionary tactics thrown in to boot. Shows just how far the expectation levels have been managed down by this shower.
Going into the first game of the season (not the friendlies as you put it) with one second or third choice striker as you also put it, is just crazy. It just shows the "strategy" of waiting for borrowed players as strikers just does not work.
McCarron money was not expected, although clearly hoped for by the way they tried to generate a sale, so all of that money should have went to getting a striker or two on a contract instead of another coach.
You seem to say it is okay to write off almost 10% of the season (or a trickier task as you put it) - we could be 6 or 8 points off the play offs by then.
Eight days left to realise the folly of the policy of relying totally on loan signings, and getting at least one of our own strikers in.



None taken pal! Not one to get defensive about disagreement.

As I said, I think it's more than acceptable to take a stance against the club's recruitment policy itself. I don't wish to come across like I'm giving a PR defence, because I'm not. My issues are more with the way in which people seem baffled by the way things are going. It's been pretty clear since March/ April time that this approach – small squad, attackers on loan, short-term deals, "waiting for the right ones" – was the plan.

The rest of my post was, in summary, just me rambling on about my belief that our (currently thin) squad actually has a nice mixture of quality and potential. Clearly we are in a tight spot with forwards. I maintain that our fate would probably lie in what quality level the last four arrivals bring. And that I would, indeed, happily sacrifice the first 3-5 games to take 40+ games with a forward of higher ability than one 'through the door' to keep folk happy. I stand by that.

Of course it's far from ideal, but this is CUFC. It's never going to be smooth with our current cashflow and position.

I sincerely hope a win on Saturday can cheer a few folk up ;-)
The following user(s) Liked this post:: bejustandfearprokas, CarlisleWhite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 15:58 #94 by triskelionblue
Replied by triskelionblue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

PaddockRanger wrote:

nobbyblue wrote: Madden wasn't keen on Abbott and literally wouldn't come back.



I think it was more to do with his form, pitch time and sewing his seeds with a girl from Yeovil. No way was he coming back.....but to be sold for a measly £25,000. Due to the add on's included, Madden did not play championship football......instead he transferred to Scunny.


a lot in common with me then i sowed a lot of seeds in Yeovil from 1979-86... quite an easy place to do so
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 16:04 #95 by Lakelandterrier
Replied by Lakelandterrier on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I have never been so frustrated prior to the first game of our season. I will be backing the players and manager on Saturday.
The players we have brought in i have been happy with but, its too slow in having a squad ready. We should be doing final preparations with the squad now, not waiting so long on deals which should have been done weeks ago.
We have a Billionaire owned Company in EWM running the club, more needs to be done and clarified on what they want to do. And our Multi millionaire Chairman not investing in a squad to get a promotion he supposedly wants.
We should be looking forward to the kick off not twining!!

Cumbrian and Proud
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, Arragorn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 16:13 #96 by jakeyblain
Replied by jakeyblain on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
I actually think we're more prepared to where we were at the same stage last season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 16:32 #97 by CarlisleWhite
Replied by CarlisleWhite on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

KentBlue wrote:

CarlisleWhite wrote: No offence, but what a strange post. Could almost have come from the club, with the diversionary tactics thrown in to boot. Shows just how far the expectation levels have been managed down by this shower.
Going into the first game of the season (not the friendlies as you put it) with one second or third choice striker as you also put it, is just crazy. It just shows the "strategy" of waiting for borrowed players as strikers just does not work.
McCarron money was not expected, although clearly hoped for by the way they tried to generate a sale, so all of that money should have went to getting a striker or two on a contract instead of another coach.
You seem to say it is okay to write off almost 10% of the season (or a trickier task as you put it) - we could be 6 or 8 points off the play offs by then.
Eight days left to realise the folly of the policy of relying totally on loan signings, and getting at least one of our own strikers in.



None taken pal! Not one to get defensive about disagreement.

As I said, I think it's more than acceptable to take a stance against the club's recruitment policy itself. I don't wish to come across like I'm giving a PR defence, because I'm not. My issues are more with the way in which people seem baffled by the way things are going. It's been pretty clear since March/ April time that this approach – small squad, attackers on loan, short-term deals, "waiting for the right ones" – was the plan.

The rest of my post was, in summary, just me rambling on about my belief that our (currently thin) squad actually has a nice mixture of quality and potential. Clearly we are in a tight spot with forwards. I maintain that our fate would probably lie in what quality level the last four arrivals bring. And that I would, indeed, happily sacrifice the first 3-5 games to take 40+ games with a forward of higher ability than one 'through the door' to keep folk happy. I stand by that.

Of course it's far from ideal, but this is CUFC. It's never going to be smooth with our current cashflow and position.

I sincerely hope a win on Saturday can cheer a few folk up ;-)

No probs pal, frustration not really aimed at you, just really think it is totally wrong to be going into the first game of the season with four of the squad missing. One or two maybe, but four is bananas. The new players will need at least a month to settle, assuming they do come.
That said, never realised the league 2 windw is open until 2nd September mind!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: KentBlue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thetashkentterror
  • Offline
  • Bench Warmer
  • Bench Warmer
More
31 Jul 2019 17:21 #98 by thetashkentterror
Replied by thetashkentterror on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

lummy8 wrote: I was talking to my mate who was involved with Fleetwood for a few years about the new coach we have, he seems to think he is still under contract to Fleetwood, was loaned to Crawley, and now loaned to us, we only pay a fraction of wages. This may have been mentioned in other threads so I apologise if I have missed it.

So the McCarron money would not have went on him I don think. My mate could be wrong like...



We're even getting coaches on loan now :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 17:35 #99 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker
Bit off topic, but they are making a new series of the Borrowers for those who remember that

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 17:37 #100 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Olufela Olomola in on Loan - Striker

thetashkentterror wrote:

lummy8 wrote: I was talking to my mate who was involved with Fleetwood for a few years about the new coach we have, he seems to think he is still under contract to Fleetwood, was loaned to Crawley, and now loaned to us, we only pay a fraction of wages. This may have been mentioned in other threads so I apologise if I have missed it.

So the McCarron money would not have went on him I don think. My mate could be wrong like...



We're even getting coaches on loan now :-)


Why are Fleetwood so desperate to get rid should be the question asked?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2020 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.