Is it over for City ?

More
17 Feb 2020 20:41 #101 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Is it over for City ?

Urban Designer wrote: If they operate within the rules they go go back to their natural level of mid to lower mid table similar to West Ham or Newcastle.

The manager will be happy to stay because he was under pressure to win the Champions League which they have never come close to winning.

A lot of players who become out of contract will leave as they will want Champions League football.


Out of Interest excluding West Ham and Newcastle which dozen or so clubs do you think would finish above them?

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2020 20:53 #102 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Is it over for City ?
Without the Arab backing they're similar to Newcastle.

Smaller teams would finish above them most seasons as its a much more level playing field now with the TV money. Getting an extra 20,000 crowd doesn't equate to much these days. They'de be back to getting 35 - 40k mid table. This is team that can't sell out FA Cup matches at home and don't even sell their Wembley tickets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2020 21:18 #103 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Is it over for City ?
But without their backing is different to operating within the rules. Within the rules they’d probably still be able to have a very good 11 just maybe not as good backups.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 01:51 #104 by Piglet_Phoenix
Replied by Piglet_Phoenix on topic Is it over for City ?
It's more likely to be over for UEFA and FFP than it is for City.

The vested interests (and the old guard) at the top level in Europe want to prevent English clubs from dominating Europe, again. It's as simple as that.

In the 80s they used Heysel as an excuse, now they're going to try and use FFP or whatever. They'll sanction every team in England one by one, if they succeed with City, Liverpool will be next.

The whole thing is nonsense anyway. You should be allowed to invest whatever you like in your football club, why not? Why should football be different from any other business? In what other business are you prevented from investing what's required to improve the quality of your product?

I'm 100% with City on this one, as I would be with any English club.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 08:20 #105 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Is it over for City ?
There are lots of issues there though. Man C are funded by the Abu Dhabi wealth fund. In principle, that fund belongs to the people of Abu Dhabi. The purpose of the fund is to develop UAE so that when the oil runs out they are still a prosperous country. Difficult to see how paying John Stones 7.5m a year fulfils that.

Throwing good money after bad isn't illegal but running up debts in a company when you know those debts will never be paid is. What if the Abu Dhabians pull out, how will you ever prosecute them?

We've now got the Saudis wanting to buy a club. Their wealth fund was due to run out of money this year but they sold stakes in the state oil company to buy time so they are alive for a few more years. Are we really cheering on investment from them while they execute teenagers for Facebook comments?

Derby now can't pay their players. We need more fiscal responsibility not less, otherwise, we'll end up with franchises as in the US, or u23 teams in the league. And we certainly don't need UEFA handing out multi-million dollar fines, they have enough financial credibility issues without opening another lucrative money milking machine for them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 08:56 #106 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Is it over for City ?
I don't have too much of a problem with all of this, so long as they get PSG next. There's no way they've followed all the rules that City have broken.

And that's the thing; City have broken the rules of the competition that they agreed on entry. I reckon they'll get the ban reduced to one year in the end, or it will become a suspended sentence, but they'll appeal it such that they'll be in the competition next season.

Will be interesting to hear how well received the UEFA anthem is at City in a few weeks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Playmaker
  • Playmaker
  • my account was hacked
More
18 Feb 2020 10:48 - 18 Feb 2020 11:26 #107 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic Is it over for City ?
Most high revenue sports are regulated despite the comments above. F1, Basketball, American Footy etc, etc all have caps on revenue/expenditure.

Some Premier Division Clubs (like all the rest of the Worlds top teams) appear to be nowt but vehicles for high level money laundering. The PFA will be in a corner, as they are also currently under investigation.

My guess is, because it's big bucks, it will keep getting kicked into the long-grass.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 11:26 by CCU. Reason: Edit requested

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 14:35 #108 by Kessler
Replied by Kessler on topic Is it over for City ?
What if there was a flat maximum amount that teams in every league were allowed to spend on players? A different maximum amount for each league obviously. It might restore a sense of competition based on skill and training rather than which club owner has the biggest wallet. Probably too socialist an idea for many :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 14:41 #109 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Is it over for City ?
That works in the NFL where its by far the biggest competition of its type. However if the English leagues adopted it all the stars would sod off abroad to a more lucrative league.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 15:03 #110 by Kessler
Replied by Kessler on topic Is it over for City ?

Dancingbear wrote: That works in the NFL where its by far the biggest competition of its type. However if the English leagues adopted it all the stars would sod off abroad to a more lucrative league.


Then that leaves a gap in the big leagues that others can step in and fill. And that might restore a sense of genuine competition where every team feels it's actually possible for them to progress up the leagues and win the ultimate title.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Playmaker
  • Playmaker
  • my account was hacked
More
18 Feb 2020 15:52 #111 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic Is it over for City ?
The FA sold it's soul to TV money for the Premier League, sod the rest.

The weakness and under-performance of the National Team is the only saving grace for investment at grass roots.

How everything in the middle is supposed to survive, god knows.

Summer footy, light nights, earlier kick-offs, better catering and lower entry prices would be a good start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • topstepwhinger
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
18 Feb 2020 16:55 #112 by topstepwhinger
Replied by topstepwhinger on topic Is it over for City ?

Piglet_Phoenix wrote: It's more likely to be over for UEFA and FFP than it is for City.

The vested interests (and the old guard) at the top level in Europe want to prevent English clubs from dominating Europe, again. It's as simple as that.

In the 80s they used Heysel as an excuse, now they're going to try and use FFP or whatever. They'll sanction every team in England one by one, if they succeed with City, Liverpool will be next.

The whole thing is nonsense anyway. You should be allowed to invest whatever you like in your football club, why not? Why should football be different from any other business? In what other business are you prevented from investing what's required to improve the quality of your product?

I'm 100% with City on this one, as I would be with any English club.


Well I'm 100% with UEFA on this one, just so long as every team is treated the same!
The FFP regulations I believe were brought in to prevent professional football clubs spending more than they earn in the pursuit of success and in doing so getting into financial problems which might threaten their long-term survival.
As has been said by others top football clubs appear to be a means of money laundering for many and hobbies/toys to others who will inevitably get bored and walk away at some time, presumably taking their cash with them.
What happens then?
As fans of a lower league club some will say so what - but what about the long standing supporters of these big clubs and the hard working employees.
No, I say bring it on, with PSG among others being next.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 16:57 #113 by Kessler
Replied by Kessler on topic Is it over for City ?

topstepwhinger wrote:

Piglet_Phoenix wrote: It's more likely to be over for UEFA and FFP than it is for City.

The vested interests (and the old guard) at the top level in Europe want to prevent English clubs from dominating Europe, again. It's as simple as that.

In the 80s they used Heysel as an excuse, now they're going to try and use FFP or whatever. They'll sanction every team in England one by one, if they succeed with City, Liverpool will be next.

The whole thing is nonsense anyway. You should be allowed to invest whatever you like in your football club, why not? Why should football be different from any other business? In what other business are you prevented from investing what's required to improve the quality of your product?

I'm 100% with City on this one, as I would be with any English club.


Well I'm 100% with UEFA on this one, just so long as every team is treated the same!
The FFP regulations I believe were brought in to prevent professional football clubs spending more than they earn in the pursuit of success and in doing so getting into financial problems which might threaten their long-term survival.
As has been said by others top football clubs appear to be a means of money laundering for many and hobbies/toys to others who will inevitably get bored and walk away at some time, presumably taking their cash with them.
What happens then?
As fans of a lower league club some will say so what - but what about the long standing supporters of these big clubs and the hard working employees.
No, I say bring it on, with PSG among others being next.


With the employees you could turn the clubs into collectives where every employee gets a say in how its run. Would be interesting :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 17:02 #114 by Arragorn
Replied by Arragorn on topic Is it over for City ?
would be a total shambles
The following user(s) Liked this post:: bluebry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 17:10 #115 by Kessler
Replied by Kessler on topic Is it over for City ?

Arragorn wrote: would be a total shambles


As opposed to the success that Jenkins Nixon and Patt are making of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 17:43 #116 by bluebry
Replied by bluebry on topic Is it over for City ?

Arragorn wrote: would be a total shambles


Ha, ha I can just imagine the arguments, it would be a complete and utter mess, nowt would get done!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Arragorn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 00:43 #117 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Is it over for City ?

Dancingbear wrote: That works in the NFL where its by far the biggest competition of its type. However if the English leagues adopted it all the stars would sod off abroad to a more lucrative league.


And if they all did it would be a long way to being problem solved and as a little extra i.d say that they should go with the wages of any player born within 25 miles of the club are excluded from the total.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 01:04 #118 by Kessler
Replied by Kessler on topic Is it over for City ?

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Dancingbear wrote: That works in the NFL where its by far the biggest competition of its type. However if the English leagues adopted it all the stars would sod off abroad to a more lucrative league.


And if they all did it would be a long way to being problem solved and as a little extra i.d say that they should go with the wages of any player born within 25 miles of the club are excluded from the total.


It's a bit discomforting for me that I've found myself agreeing with you a few times recently Barry, but I have to admit I do like the sound of that idea. I've talked before about how I feel clubs need to build a sort of shared identity/make every fan feel like part of a family. If clubs were mostly made up of local lads, it might help with that. You build up a greater connection with people from the area that you know, maybe you even went to school with some of the team.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 13:59 #119 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Is it over for City ?
Going to run for a while yet this one...

Thread:

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 15:04 #120 by bluestblue
Replied by bluestblue on topic Is it over for City ?
"Manchester City's chief executive Ferran Soriano has just said that the allegations against the Premier League club are "false". "

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Everything's OK now then

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 17:03 #121 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Is it over for City ?
Shouldn't they be kicked out now?

Would be embarrassing for UEFA if Man City won it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 19:59 #122 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Is it over for City ?
Looks like their fans have gone in fancy dress as light blue seats tonight.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: howoldboy, ParcelPete, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2020 20:42 #123 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Is it over for City ?
I thought Newport v Salford was quiet but its like a Brazilian Carnival compared to Citeh.

Thousands of empty seats playing in silence - you can hear the players and manager. They are finding their level again - deserted by the plastic fans - your grounds too big for you!

This is a team that's second in the league!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2020 18:43 #124 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Is it over for City ?
Man City players celebrating - singing championos (You can hear the players) - in front of their silent fans.

Wembley is never a sell out when city are there - I could have gone if I wanted. 8k tickets unsold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • aberdeenblue28
  • aberdeenblue28's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
01 Mar 2020 18:46 #125 by aberdeenblue28
Replied by aberdeenblue28 on topic Is it over for City ?

Urban Designer wrote: Man City players celebrating - singing championos (You can hear the players) - in front of their silent fans.

Wembley is never a sell out when city are there - I could have gone if I wanted. 8k tickets unsold.

Mate nobody is interested it’s a Carlisle forum so take your views elsewhere and stop being bitter. CARLISLE FORUM NOT LIVERPOOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2020 18:50 #126 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Is it over for City ?
Your the one always harping on about Man City - bet you weren't there either!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • aberdeenblue28
  • aberdeenblue28's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
01 Mar 2020 19:00 #127 by aberdeenblue28
Replied by aberdeenblue28 on topic Is it over for City ?

Urban Designer wrote: Your the one always harping on about Man City - bet you weren't there either!

150 pound a ticket plus travel, hotel so on. When was the last time you were at anfield then? What’s your reason for supporting Liverpool? Are you scouse? Is any of your family scouse?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2020 00:03 #128 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Is it over for City ?
I went to the League Cup final in 2000 when it was 2-1 to Leicester over Tranmere.

It was a good day out at the old Wembley stadium, I got the ticket given as a gift, Tranmere matched Leicester that day and were unlucky - strange that in twenty years they have been on the cusp of The Premier League and a national cup final to non-league then up to tier three (bugger knows how many times Ronnie Moore came and went over this period).

We got the train back and we were filling up at a petrol station round the corner from my house on the a5 and this lad was all over the place all chatty in the kiosk and seemed pissed, he said he was celebrating with the Leicester players at the Sketchley Grange and he had been messing about with the cup, he bought a few things and sped off without paying for his fuel - the Grange was only over the road so we went and had a look and he was dead right, he was driving back the other way at us, presumably gan back to pay for his fuel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2020 02:28 #129 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Is it over for City ?
I was a Liverpool fan at school way before supporting Carlisle.

Only time at Anfield was when Carlisle played them in the league cup in the Carlisle end. ( I was supporting Carlisle).

How about you Aberdeen? Is Man City your first or second team?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • aberdeenblue28
  • aberdeenblue28's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
02 Mar 2020 07:37 #130 by aberdeenblue28
Replied by aberdeenblue28 on topic Is it over for City ?
About even really. Been supporting city long before moving to Carlisle but I watch Carlisle every week

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2020 16:04 #131 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Is it over for City ?
Only Carlisle United for me.

There are other teams I 'like' but that is/was more of a case of where I was living or the style of play - for example I like to watch Wolves at the moment on the television as they are like a breath of fresh air.

I have trudged down to watch Hinckley United in the past, the football was generally awful to watch however the beer was good and the food was excellent, it was more of a social thing than the football so Mr Jenkins could learn from this as when I think about it Hinckley United offered the whole package, decent cheap beer in the clubhouse (The Greene King Stadium) cracking food and some football, I wasn't even really into the team but it was an enjoyable day, tenner to get in, two quid a pint and two fifty for chips and chicken curry ladled on top.

Smaller ground and less people so there is more of a personal touch I guess but they seemed genuinely pleased for your support and custom, on a Sunday evening there was also a comedy night on at seven which drew a decent crowd in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2020 16:19 #132 by Kessler
Replied by Kessler on topic Is it over for City ?

munchymagic wrote: Only Carlisle United for me.

There are other teams I 'like' but that is/was more of a case of where I was living or the style of play - for example I like to watch Wolves at the moment on the television as they are like a breath of fresh air.

I have trudged down to watch Hinckley United in the past, the football was generally awful to watch however the beer was good and the food was excellent, it was more of a social thing than the football so Mr Jenkins could learn from this as when I think about it Hinckley United offered the whole package, decent cheap beer in the clubhouse (The Greene King Stadium) cracking food and some football, I wasn't even really into the team but it was an enjoyable day, tenner to get in, two quid a pint and two fifty for chips and chicken curry ladled on top.

Smaller ground and less people so there is more of a personal touch I guess but they seemed genuinely pleased for your support and custom, on a Sunday evening there was also a comedy night on at seven which drew a decent crowd in.


Like I say, there are quite a few things the club could fix off the pitch that would almost certainly get more people through the gates, although the ideal is obviously to get winning games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2020 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.