Brunton Park

More
11 Jan 2019 20:49 #51 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park
I'm going to chose to ignore northernsoul comments as it's not worth arguing with the deluded. Flood prevention is about using a combination of methods such as reforestation , removing flood banks from areas of farm land to increase flood plain areas and stop draining land for building .We have huge issues with construction companies being given planning permission in areas of boggy terrain were they draining them, which means areas which take a large amount of water are no longer there , water has to have a place to go , Restoration of natural flood plains and bog lands would be part of a combination of factors which would help.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 20:52 #52 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Dancingbear wrote: Happyblue must be unconcious from banging his head against the wall. A boating lake ffs. To be a lake with boats on it at a wild guess id say it probably already has to be full of water not sit empty waiting for a flood every 10 years.

What is the point , we'll always get northernsoul arguing he's always right despite all facts disproving that and we'll always get munchy believing what ever he says, Whereas I keep saying please talk to a cival and engineer , or geologist and they would explain why these systems wouldn't work , but people prefer to remain ignorant .


Don't agree with all that you said but what would would you do then?

I never said that I was an expert in this field.


No as you like to argue with facts because you don't like things which don't agree with your opinions.
Would use systems to slow the flow of water from the catchment area , speeding up flow once you get in an area were the land is as low as parts of Carlisle you can't stop it , as the water table is the so close to the level which properties exist. You look at the proven most effective techniques ironically some of these are the ones which are the cheapest, we can't use up up steam damning than can be effective but that's generally done in large areas in large counties (Cumbria may have a low population density but in comparison to other counties it's high ), so you look first at the Fells you look at restoring the Forrest's which have been cut down as a significant rate , these help to dramatically slow the flow of water into the river it also prevents the earth from becoming as saturated , you look at alowing bog land which has been drained for farming to be turned back into marshland.

This is proved to work, it's done by experts in counties were they've had serious flooding problems , but for some reason we still are focussed on using ideas from the past , but like many older ideas they are proved to be useless .


What a load of [censored] ing crap WIDER AND DEEPER. WIDER AND DEEPER

It's called facts, something you don't understand why can't you face them?.


Now that really is a classic or are you actually trying to say that a river made twice as wide and twice as deep doesn't have a capacity four times greater ?

Which when combined with an upstream flood plain it would solve the Peterill flooding issue and go a long way to reducing the problems downstream on the Eden. And would have been quite adequate in both of the last two floods.

But a scheme that can be devised on the back of a fag packet by anybody with half a brain doesn't give hundreds of [censored] ing leeching graduate consultants a living does it ?



Dredging widened and deeper rivers to take the deluge makes sense.

To also have flood plains further up river would also make sense and easy to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 20:58 #53 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Brunton Park
I used to live local - would you buy a house on this as it is a floodplain with underground springs that used to feed the hosiery factories, ffs it is already a lake.

www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-ne...leys-big-pit-1042741

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:01 #54 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Dancingbear wrote: Happyblue must be unconcious from banging his head against the wall. A boating lake ffs. To be a lake with boats on it at a wild guess id say it probably already has to be full of water not sit empty waiting for a flood every 10 years.

What is the point , we'll always get northernsoul arguing he's always right despite all facts disproving that and we'll always get munchy believing what ever he says, Whereas I keep saying please talk to a cival and engineer , or geologist and they would explain why these systems wouldn't work , but people prefer to remain ignorant .


Don't agree with all that you said but what would would you do then?

I never said that I was an expert in this field.


No as you like to argue with facts because you don't like things which don't agree with your opinions.
Would use systems to slow the flow of water from the catchment area , speeding up flow once you get in an area were the land is as low as parts of Carlisle you can't stop it , as the water table is the so close to the level which properties exist. You look at the proven most effective techniques ironically some of these are the ones which are the cheapest, we can't use up up steam damning than can be effective but that's generally done in large areas in large counties (Cumbria may have a low population density but in comparison to other counties it's high ), so you look first at the Fells you look at restoring the Forrest's which have been cut down as a significant rate , these help to dramatically slow the flow of water into the river it also prevents the earth from becoming as saturated , you look at alowing bog land which has been drained for farming to be turned back into marshland.

This is proved to work, it's done by experts in counties were they've had serious flooding problems , but for some reason we still are focussed on using ideas from the past , but like many older ideas they are proved to be useless .


What a load of [censored] ing crap WIDER AND DEEPER. WIDER AND DEEPER

It's called facts, something you don't understand why can't you face them?.


Now that really is a classic or are you actually trying to say that a river made twice as wide and twice as deep doesn't have a capacity four times greater ?

Which when combined with an upstream flood plain it would solve the Peterill flooding issue and go a long way to reducing the problems downstream on the Eden. And would have been quite adequate in both of the last two floods.

But a scheme that can be devised on the back of a fag packet by anybody with half a brain doesn't give hundreds of [censored] ing leeching graduate consultants a living does it ?

That fact that you think this would be possible really makes me laugh.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 21:07 #55 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
I love this thead! But think on this, those of you who suggest dredging, You would have to dredge the whole of the eden from carlisle to the sea, and even then, the laws of physics would stop this working. Making it wider? Hmmmmm? that may POSSIBLY help in some ways. This is where I agree with Happyblue, Where He and I would still disagree is about redeveloping BP. (Don't worry Happy, I don't want an argument)

They don't like it up 'em!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:09 #56 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Bruntonpasty wrote: I love this thead! But think on this, those of you who suggest dredging, You would have to dredge the whole of the eden from carlisle to the sea, and even then, the laws of physics would stop this working. Making it wider? Hmmmmm? that may POSSIBLY help in some ways. This is where I agree with Happyblue, Where He and I would still disagree is about redeveloping BP. (Don't worry Happy, I don't want an argument)

I know, you want to build on stilts which is far more logical than the fantasy land in which norternsoul and co live .

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:18 - 11 Jan 2019 21:20 #57 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park
So the with doubling the depth of on section of a river :
So Bruton park is around 20km from the mouth of the river Eden and around 30 meters above see level , that means that for every that means that for Km at this stage the river only drops 1.5 meters per km, that's 1.5mm per meter , so how the hell can you double the depth ? Answer it's impossible .

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 21:20 by Happyblue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:18 #58 by Mullen103
Replied by Mullen103 on topic Brunton Park
If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.

At least we’re not Stockport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:23 - 11 Jan 2019 21:25 #59 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 21:25 by Happyblue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:29 #60 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Brunton Park

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


What id advise Mullen is stop pouring before you get to the top or possibly use more than one cup.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Mullen103, CCU, DeckchairBlue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:32 #61 by Mullen103
Replied by Mullen103 on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

At least we’re not Stockport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:35 #62 by Mullen103
Replied by Mullen103 on topic Brunton Park

Dancingbear wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


What id advise Mullen is stop pouring before you get to the top or possibly use more than one cup.


Good thinking DB, always the logical one. My unicorn cups just too small.

Any chance you can have a word with that fella up there and tell him the same, stop pouring water on us? Some are wet enough!

At least we’re not Stockport
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 21:39 #63 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
Spot on Happy! The sea level issue is the crux of the dredging problem. Oh, and it's not stilts btw.

They don't like it up 'em!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:40 #64 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


"Yeah but only if you have enough clay "

Answered your own question then Happy - add clay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:46 #65 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:48 #66 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Brunton Park

Mullen103 wrote:

Dancingbear wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


What id advise Mullen is stop pouring before you get to the top or possibly use more than one cup.


Good thinking DB, always the logical one. My unicorn cups just too small.

Any chance you can have a word with that fella up there and tell him the same, stop pouring water on us? Some are wet enough!


I think the problem is as happy says is stopping the water going in too fast. Slow it down and you may be able to manage drinking a bit before it overflows.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Mullen103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:49 #67 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Bruntonpasty wrote: I love this thead! But think on this, those of you who suggest dredging, You would have to dredge the whole of the eden from carlisle to the sea, and even then, the laws of physics would stop this working. Making it wider? Hmmmmm? that may POSSIBLY help in some ways. This is where I agree with Happyblue, Where He and I would still disagree is about redeveloping BP. (Don't worry Happy, I don't want an argument)


Nobody is actually suggesting doing that to the Eden on that scale but if you create floodplains, not a million miles from where the tributaries converge with it and then adopt wider and deeper between the two points the amount of water actually reaching the Eden is vastly reduced negating the need to do anything so drastic on the main river.

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:51 #68 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Brunton Park

Dancingbear wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Dancingbear wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


What id advise Mullen is stop pouring before you get to the top or possibly use more than one cup.


Good thinking DB, always the logical one. My unicorn cups just too small.

Any chance you can have a word with that fella up there and tell him the same, stop pouring water on us? Some are wet enough!


I think the problem is as happy says is stopping the water going in too fast. Slow it down and you may be able to manage drinking a bit before it overflows.


Too much information - whatever you two get up to is your own business, but that was disgusting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:51 - 11 Jan 2019 21:52 #69 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote: So the with doubling the depth of on section of a river :
So Bruton park is around 20km from the mouth of the river Eden and around 30 meters above see level , that means that for every that means that for Km at this stage the river only drops 1.5 meters per km, that's 1.5mm per meter , so how the hell can you double the depth ? Answer it's impossible .


With a load of [censored] big diggers you stupid [censored]

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 21:52 by NORTHERNSOUL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 21:52 #70 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
Munchy, think on this. If you waded into the river with a tracked digger and dug a hole twenty foot deep what would happen? If you dug that hole all the way along the river to the sea, what would happen? The answer is? It will fill with water! Pointless, Happy is perfectly correct in that sea level is Carlisle's problem. It is low lying and therefore close to the water table. If you got your digger and say, dug a hole in the middle of the training pitch at BP, right now, how deep do you reckon you would get before the hole you were digging started to fill with water? I reckon you'd not get more than a meter and a half before you got water. So, mother nature does her worst and that ground becomes saturated to the point that it can't hold anymore, this is why houses on warwick road had water comimng up through their floors before the streets were flooded, the water table just kept rising and rising. Feel free to correct me Happy if this is not correct.

They don't like it up 'em!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:52 #71 by Mullen103
Replied by Mullen103 on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


You can widen by meters, big job yes.

You’ve turned me though, I take your point on the dredging.

At least we’re not Stockport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:54 #72 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Bruntonpasty wrote: Munchy, think on this. If you waded into the river with a tracked digger and dug a hole twenty foot deep what would happen? If you dug that hole all the way along the river to the sea, what would happen? The answer is? It will fill with water! Pointless, Happy is perfectly correct in that sea level is Carlisle's problem. It is low lying and therefore close to the water table. If you got your digger and say, dug a hole in the middle of the training pitch at BP, right now, how deep do you reckon you would get before the hole you were digging started to fill with water? I reckon you'd not get more than a meter and a half before you got water. So, mother nature does her worst and that ground becomes saturated to the point that it can't hold anymore, this is why houses on warwick road had water comimng up through their floors before the streets were flooded, the water table just kept rising and rising. Feel free to correct me Happy if this is not correct.

Absolutely spot on.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:54 #73 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Brunton Park

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


You can widen by meters, big job yes.

You’ve turned me though, I take your point on the dredging.


"You’ve turned me though"

He is the last person that you should say that to otherwise you will end up with an arsehole like a Wizards sleeve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:55 #74 by Taffy-P
Replied by Taffy-P on topic Brunton Park
I think we have to move I like the viaduct idea bring the football back into the city In the future city centres will be places of entertainment (bars restaurants coffee shops etc)shopping will be done on line or on the outskirts of city’s I was a MKDons I would rather be surrounded by historic Carlisle than Asda and a drive through McDonald’s
The following user(s) Liked this post:: tommycoleman1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 21:56 #75 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Bruntonpasty wrote: I love this thead! But think on this, those of you who suggest dredging, You would have to dredge the whole of the eden from carlisle to the sea, and even then, the laws of physics would stop this working. Making it wider? Hmmmmm? that may POSSIBLY help in some ways. This is where I agree with Happyblue, Where He and I would still disagree is about redeveloping BP. (Don't worry Happy, I don't want an argument)


Nobody is actually suggesting doing that to the Eden on that scale but if you create floodplains, not a million miles from where the tributaries converge with it and then adopt wider and deeper between the two points the amount of water actually reaching the Eden is vastly reduced negating the need to do anything so drastic on the main river.




Funny that? I thought you said deeper? Wider might help but it would depend on the geography and whether that would work

They don't like it up 'em!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Happyblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 21:58 - 11 Jan 2019 22:00 #76 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park

Taffy-P wrote: I think we have to move I like the viaduct idea bring the football back into the city In the future city centres will be places of entertainment (bars restaurants coffee shops etc)shopping will be done on line or on the outskirts of city’s I was a MKDons I would rather be surrounded by historic Carlisle than Asda and a drive through McDonald’s




That'll be the Viaduct area that is prone to flooding? HMMMM? Have you thought about this?


Oh and about Stadium MK? it's surounded by lots of chain restaurants and retail plus the doubletree hotel is part of the stadium, perhaps this was what allowed them to build it? Like and enabling development thingymajig

They don't like it up 'em!
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 22:00 by Bruntonpasty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 21:58 #77 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


You can widen by meters, big job yes.

You’ve turned me though, I take your point on the dredging.

You can widen the river yes but you would then have to do the whole length and then reinforce the the banks as the sides of river are generally harder rock by removing this by widening you put the the banks at massive rate of the errosion and if the rivet starts eroding underneath then building close to the side will be have risk of of colsape.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:00 #78 by Mullen103
Replied by Mullen103 on topic Brunton Park

munchymagic wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


You can widen by meters, big job yes.

You’ve turned me though, I take your point on the dredging.


"You’ve turned me though"

He is the last person that you should say that to otherwise you will end up with an arsehole like a Wizards sleeve.


I like boobs!

BP and Happy have explained it and thinking about it their correct. If you dig a hole by the river, because of the sea level, you’ll reach water and it’ll fill. So that options out!

Make it wider though, you need something for the water to go.

At least we’re not Stockport

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:01 #79 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


Try taking a trip to the Somerset levels which are actually below the sea level .

Where surprise surprise since the EA gave in to local pressure and started dredging there hasnt been another flood

But you wouldn't expect any less from Mr Happy whos a graduate arsehole who thinks its fine to pay consultants between a third and a half of the budget for any scheme like the bloke who was in charge in Carlisle admitted they did after the first Carlisle flood.

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 22:10 #80 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
Indeed it did NS, but there's no guarantee that the eden suffers the same issues as the Parret and Tone rivers or that the geology is the same or the geography. Don't forget that tidal issues are also an issue there as they are with the eden. Does the eden silt up as much as the Levels? Sure dredging near bridges where gravel has become deeply deposited is essential to help protect bridges. One thing that i see as a certainty in this issue is that when it comes to solutions, "One size" does not fit all!

They don't like it up 'em!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:11 - 11 Jan 2019 22:13 #81 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


Try taking a trip to the Somerset levels which are actually below the sea level .

Where surprise surprise since the EA gave in to local pressure and started dredging there hasnt been another flood

But you wouldn't expect any less from Mr Happy whos a graduate arsehole who thinks its fine to pay consultants between a third and a half of the budget for any scheme like the bloke who was in charge in Carlisle admitted they did after the first Carlisle flood.


I have which is why I know that the Somerset levels are between are not bellow sea level, they are around 6 meters above sea level , do you know how physics work water doesn't flow up hill. Also it hasn't flooded as area has had record low amounts of rain since the last time it flooded , please to god check the facts.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 22:13 by Happyblue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:14 #82 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park
Would hate to go shopping with norternsoul , getting confused why extra small doesn't fit him , as to him all cloths are the same and they all fit exactly the same.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 22:18 #83 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
Yep, Happy wins again! Unless he updated wikipedia to suit his agenda? HMMM? Nah, he's correct!

They don't like it up 'em!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:24 #84 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Bruntonpasty wrote: Indeed it did NS, but there's no guarantee that the eden suffers the same issues as the Parret and Tone rivers or that the geology is the same or the geography. Don't forget that tidal issues are also an issue there as they are with the eden. Does the eden silt up as much as the Levels? Sure dredging near bridges where gravel has become deeply deposited is essential to help protect bridges. One thing that i see as a certainty in this issue is that when it comes to solutions, "One size" does not fit all!


I don't think that it does either but in the Petrill they have a stretch of river and the land to create the flood plain that they could do very simply without wasting millions on consultants and see if it works just like they did in Somerset and I think with the consultation meeting being at BP I think that will be where they are planning to do with the Eden benefiting by the reduced flows coming into it from the Petrill.

But you're right the lack of action on parts of the river in the city centre particularly under the bridges are a joke and if I was the city council i.d just get on and do it and send the EA the bill.

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:28 #85 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


Try taking a trip to the Somerset levels which are actually below the sea level .

Where surprise surprise since the EA gave in to local pressure and started dredging there hasnt been another flood

But you wouldn't expect any less from Mr Happy whos a graduate arsehole who thinks its fine to pay consultants between a third and a half of the budget for any scheme like the bloke who was in charge in Carlisle admitted they did after the first Carlisle flood.


I have which is why I know that the Somerset levels are between are not bellow sea level, they are around 6 meters above sea level , do you know how physics work water doesn't flow up hill. Also it hasn't flooded as area has had record low amounts of rain since the last time it flooded , please to god check the facts.


Don't need to check any facts Mr Happy i.ve lived in that area on 3 separate occasions and my partner hails from Highbridge so please don't go telling me to check anything I know how the system there works i.ve seen it with my own eyes

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:29 - 11 Jan 2019 22:31 #86 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


Try taking a trip to the Somerset levels which are actually below the sea level .

Where surprise surprise since the EA gave in to local pressure and started dredging there hasnt been another flood

But you wouldn't expect any less from Mr Happy whos a graduate arsehole who thinks its fine to pay consultants between a third and a half of the budget for any scheme like the bloke who was in charge in Carlisle admitted they did after the first Carlisle flood.


I have which is why I know that the Somerset levels are between are not bellow sea level, they are around 6 meters above sea level , do you know how physics work water doesn't flow up hill. Also it hasn't flooded as area has had record low amounts of rain since the last time it flooded , please to god check the facts.


Don't need to check any facts Mr Happy i.ve lived in that area on 3 separate occasions and my partner hails from Highbridge so please don't go telling me to check anything I know how the system there works i.ve seen it with my own eyes

Head to Specsavers then, As the fact is your wrong and can't take it not toddle back to your cave.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 22:31 by Happyblue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:33 #87 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Bruntonpasty wrote: Yep, Happy wins again! Unless he updated wikipedia to suit his agenda? HMMM? Nah, he's correct!

Brunton its because I like to always use the most important thing in a debate using factually information to back up my argument.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:38 #88 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park
the seven wonders of a northernsoul debates:
1- He puts forward his idea
2- He gets told why its wrong and proved wrong
3- He makes his point again starts a slight rant
4- He gets proved wrong again
5- Says he know because he knows this person, about a completely different situation, uses that to argue
6- gets asks to provide proof
7- Doesn't show proof justs gets angry rants and threatens people.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:42 #89 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote: So the with doubling the depth of on section of a river :
So Bruton park is around 20km from the mouth of the river Eden and around 30 meters above see level , that means that for every that means that for Km at this stage the river only drops 1.5 meters per km, that's 1.5mm per meter , so how the hell can you double the depth ? Answer it's impossible .


With a load of [censored] big diggers you stupid [censored]

You are so stupid it's comical, do you understand that its impossible,1m is a lot more than 1.5mm. It would be like trying to fit an elephant into a pint glass

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 22:45 #90 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
Asking for a friend, "Is it an indian elephant or an african elephant?"

They don't like it up 'em!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:52 #91 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

Bruntonpasty wrote: Asking for a friend, "Is it an indian elephant or an african elephant?"

Borneo pigmy elephant more chance of fitting in.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Bruntonpasty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 22:53 #92 by tommycoleman1
Replied by tommycoleman1 on topic Brunton Park
MK stadium was built ( the lower level ) before the retail happened, the owner Peter Winkelman sold off lots to M& S... Primark etc ( Denbign North district..... Inter Milton Keynes) to fund the rest of the Stadium. The Roundtree Hilton works well as he originally started out in the music industry ( he owns a recording studio ) they have a lot of music related folk staying there apparently.
It has been built up a lot since Cufc 1st visited.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Bruntonpasty
  • Bruntonpasty's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
11 Jan 2019 22:57 #93 by Bruntonpasty
Replied by Bruntonpasty on topic Brunton Park
Doubletree hotel is very good and often not that expensive considering the quality.

They don't like it up 'em!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:03 - 11 Jan 2019 23:13 #94 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


Try taking a trip to the Somerset levels which are actually below the sea level .

Where surprise surprise since the EA gave in to local pressure and started dredging there hasnt been another flood

But you wouldn't expect any less from Mr Happy whos a graduate arsehole who thinks its fine to pay consultants between a third and a half of the budget for any scheme like the bloke who was in charge in Carlisle admitted they did after the first Carlisle flood.


I have which is why I know that the Somerset levels are between are not bellow sea level, they are around 6 meters above sea level , do you know how physics work water doesn't flow up hill. Also it hasn't flooded as area has had record low amounts of rain since the last time it flooded , please to god check the facts.


Don't need to check any facts Mr Happy i.ve lived in that area on 3 separate occasions and my partner hails from Highbridge so please don't go telling me to check anything I know how the system there works i.ve seen it with my own eyes

Head to Specsavers then, As the fact is your wrong and can't take it not toddle back to your cave.


Look get it into your thick head once and for all i.m never wrong

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 23:13 by BoardAdmin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:04 #95 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Brunton Park
Rather pitch a tent than stop in a Hotel connected to that Milton Keynes abomination of a football club...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: bruntonpete, Mush

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:10 #96 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park
Does anyone else find it say that northernsoul an adult man can't accept the simple facts prove him wrong ?

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:11 - 11 Jan 2019 23:13 #97 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote:

Happyblue wrote:

Mullen103 wrote: If you make a cup of tea and use a small cup, it will only hold so much amount of tea then it will overflow.

If you want more tea you get a bigger cup as it holds more.

Therefore if you make a river wider and deeper it’ll hold more water.


Yeah but only if you have enough clay , but if you don't have enough then you can't make a bigger cup and that's my point , due to the river flowing through Carlisle only being 30 meters above see level and 20km from the coast , the rate of chance of gradient is not enough to do this. That's a gradient of 0.15%


I agree to an extent, but we could dredge a few meters and widen in flood plain areas.

The defence so far is building walls, which as we’ve seen doesn’t work.

Yes it was an extream situation but you need something/somewhere to hold the excess water. A dam?

How can you reduce the depth of a river by few meters when it only drops a few Millimeters ?


Try taking a trip to the Somerset levels which are actually below the sea level .

Where surprise surprise since the EA gave in to local pressure and started dredging there hasnt been another flood

But you wouldn't expect any less from Mr Happy whos a graduate arsehole who thinks its fine to pay consultants between a third and a half of the budget for any scheme like the bloke who was in charge in Carlisle admitted they did after the first Carlisle flood.


I have which is why I know that the Somerset levels are between are not bellow sea level, they are around 6 meters above sea level , do you know how physics work water doesn't flow up hill. Also it hasn't flooded as area has had record low amounts of rain since the last time it flooded , please to god check the facts.


Don't need to check any facts Mr Happy i.ve lived in that area on 3 separate occasions and my partner hails from Highbridge so please don't go telling me to check anything I know how the system there works i.ve seen it with my own eyes

Head to Specsavers then, As the fact is your wrong and can't take it not toddle back to your cave.


Look get it into your thick head once and for all i.m never wrong

You're wrong accept it and grow up, The only thick person here is you and well done for proving it to everyone on here.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 23:13 by BoardAdmin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:31 #98 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Brunton Park

Happyblue wrote: the seven wonders of a northernsoul debates:
1- He puts forward his idea
2- He gets told why its wrong and proved wrong
3- He makes his point again starts a slight rant
4- He gets proved wrong again
5- Says he know because he knows this person, about a completely different situation, uses that to argue
6- gets asks to provide proof
7- Doesn't show proof justs gets angry rants and threatens people.


Well as i.ve said stick your address up i.m more than happy to come up and discuss your personality defects

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:32 - 11 Jan 2019 23:35 #99 by Happyblue
Replied by Happyblue on topic Brunton Park

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

Happyblue wrote: the seven wonders of a northernsoul debates:
1- He puts forward his idea
2- He gets told why its wrong and proved wrong
3- He makes his point again starts a slight rant
4- He gets proved wrong again
5- Says he know because he knows this person, about a completely different situation, uses that to argue
6- gets asks to provide proof
7- Doesn't show proof justs gets angry rants and threatens people.


Well as i.ve said stick your address up i.m more than happy to come up and discuss your personality defects

Yawn, grow up. Just accept that you got it wrong and that your sorry , that will actually make you seem like a better person than you're coming across now.

Owners like the stadium, full of Sh!T
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 23:35 by Happyblue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 23:33 #100 by orfc
Replied by orfc on topic Brunton Park
www.cumbria.gov.uk/eLibrary/Content/Inte...7225/43312152830.pdf

Figure 1 on page 8 here is quite informative. It shows a new lake across the centre of carlisle at the height of the floods, over 5 miles long and over a mile wide. An extra few feet on the river bed would not have helped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.