Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

More
09 Jan 2019 22:06 #51 by bluebry
Replied by bluebry on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote: Bloody hell Munchy I simply can't work out your 'stop at nothing' love for old Curly Chops, granted he did sign some decent players, but he also signed a lot of Clart. Its just a shame he hadn't a Scooby Doo about how to put them together as a team.
Take for instance the starting eleven on Saturday, 8 of them were here under Curle. That team looked a million miles away from some of the tosh from last season, they played with intelligence, speed, thoughtfulness, skill and confidence, and there's the buzz word "CONFIDENCE", and why were they playing with such confidence? I'll tell you the reason Munchy they were playing like that it's because of 'consistency'!!! consistency to play the same team (more or less) week in and week out, consistency to play a system that they were all familiar with, a consistency where they knew the strengths and weaknesses of their team mates.
Unfortunately Curly could never grasp this, and if he had then I'm sure he would still be here now.


I moved on Bry - we will be two managers on soon.

Elated that Sheridan got a better beat of the drum out of them but what you are failing to grasp is that they weren't Sheridans players, I just cannot understand your hatred for the bloke Bry.

Anyhow, lets se how manager number three can get them performing.


I've never ever hated him Munchy, infact (because of my job) I got to know him quite well, even one night having a couple of drinks with him (well fizzy water in his case LOL) and to be honest with my dealings with him, I found him, witty, intelligent, and basically an all round good egg.
However as explained above I just couldn't take to the guy as a football manager....end of!!
And at the end of the day it really doesn't matter who signed the players, its what you can get out of them that matters, something Curle (in my opinion) failed to do.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thetashkentterror
  • Offline
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
09 Jan 2019 22:59 #52 by thetashkentterror
Replied by thetashkentterror on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
You've moved on?

You sure?
The following user(s) Liked this post:: melbourneblues, Zebby, Dancingbear, bluebry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • munchymagic
  • Away
  • Team Captain
  • Team Captain
More
10 Jan 2019 00:14 #53 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • munchymagic
  • Away
  • Team Captain
  • Team Captain
More
10 Jan 2019 01:53 - 10 Jan 2019 02:07 #54 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
Any excuse to have a go at me regardless at the moment as I correctly called out someone who admitted that they were wrong.

Two fingers to you.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 02:07 by munchymagic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 05:04 #55 by DeckchairBlue
Replied by DeckchairBlue on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
So by your logic then Munch, Kav should get praise any time Grainger has a good game because he signed him?

Surely you must admit it's good not to have to hear "earn the right to play" every week ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 06:59 #56 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
I think Curle is jusged harshly on here.
He signed some duffers, but who doesn’t?
He was slaughtered for signing players such as Etuhu, Liddle and Hope who have all gone on to be good players for us.
The recent results and performances have shown that the current coaching staff have been able to get more out of the players than Curle and co did.
The problem with the tinkering and changing formations, for me, is that we look at it now and when we are on a winning run, it is working very well to have a consistent way of playing and for us not being overly cagey in crunch games.
I didn’t feel this way earlier in the season, when I watched defeat after defeat at home, with some absolutely terrible performances, no ideas. So back then , I was desperate for them to try something different, to break the cycle of defeats.
Yes, time to move on now, but some of the criticism about Curle’s management is unfair.
Familiarity breeds contempt and that is why there is no loyalty in the game.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Bumble, Arragorn, ParcelPete, newcarlislefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 09:44 - 10 Jan 2019 09:52 #57 by newcarlislefan
Replied by newcarlislefan on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
Yes, I agree with 182 & Munchy on Curle.
Curle wasn't perfect and neither was Sheridan which is why they are 4th tier managers.
Both have and will sign poorly at times.
Curle signed Adams and Hill and Devitt, all superb players as well as Liddle, Jones, Etuhu, Hope, Bonham, Nadesan etc.
Liddle, in particular, was getting dog's abuse on here as was Etuhu and even Devitt!
Yet he also signed Waring, Proctor, Bennett, Nabi etc who haven't worked.
But the side was in the basement when he took over and ended up with a club record run and in the play offs. It's not just the money. You need to have something about you as Notts County & Chesterfield prove.
It didn't quite finish as we'd hoped but I think he was unlucky at times.
Look at what happened to Curle when Wyke left and Jones & Kennedy got injured - the season fell away.
Look at what happened when Sheridan lost a few players to injury - we didn't score for 8 hours.
Nobody was raving about Sheridan 4 or 5 weeks ago. Jon Colman in the N&S called it a crisis as we set club records for our home form. Sheridan's job was on the line.
Curle's currently being judged against a side winning 6 on the spin and not a side not scoring for 8 hours. Worst case scenario and if Nadesan, Yates and Sowerby aren't here in February it's not that implausible to suggest we could struggle again.
Just like Curle it's ups and downs.
Curle clearly had a bigger budget and better squad but also had sides like Luton & Portsmouth in the league - currently the top 2 in Division 1. That quality in L2 isn't there anymore.
I think it's fair to criticise him for not getting the signings of the forwards right to replace Wyke & Jabo.
I couldn't understand why he didn't play Devitt often enough, I thought he was too defensive at home & tinkered too much.
But as with most if not all managers at this level, he was a mixed bag.
But look at where the club was when he came and where it was when he left.
If fingers are to pointed during his tenure, for me, it should be at the board or for whoever arranges the contracts, wages, bonuses etc.
Who wouldn't offer a good package to entice players and to get them in and to keep them performing?
Goal bonuses etc are a regular, normal part of the game today.
The contracts & player bonus system in hindsight looks to have been too generous and left an unwanted legacy but that's hardly his fault.
That was a judgement by the board who decided they couldn't afford to keep covering the losses, haemorrhaging money or whatever it is but it certainly wasn't seen as an issue or a problem for them the 2 or 3 previous seasons when debts were being racked up.
But, if you move from that scenario and make a decision that you can't keep funding the losses to a slashed budget the following season then of course the contracts are going to look excessive and people will be scratching their heads,
As with Sheridan and as with Wright & Murray and whoever comes after them it will be a bit of a mixed bag in all probability.
But I just don't see Curle's tenure as a bad thing particularly when you look at where the club was when he came in.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 09:52 by newcarlislefan.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, Arragorn, seesaw50, ParcelPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 10:06 #58 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
Instead of this board pschyoanalysing Curle and Sheridan they should be doing it on the BOD and the trust.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Lakelandterrier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 11:17 - 10 Jan 2019 11:49 #59 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
Good points ncf especially in the loss of players to untimely transfer or injury which has made us a nearly team for the last 3 seasons ...historically Carlisle have been a selling club when we occasionally produce a gem and these last few seasons have proved a big frustration for fans especially with the Wyke debacle, Potts transfer and possibly the loss of Dempsey in hindsight.
The running of the club has been done to death with everyone in agreement it has dug its own hole...those at the top undoubtedly should have done better with the money they've had at their disposal. I'm just hoping the new set up is gonna prove successful, and the old addage, no pain no gain gets us out of this league. It will be some kind of miracle if that happens, but maybe just maybe this is our season.

Coyb

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 11:49 by seesaw50.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: newcarlislefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 11:28 #60 by heilkmoon
Replied by heilkmoon on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
I've no problem with club making money by selling players.

For it to work though you need to own the players in the first place so they are yours to sell on for a profit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 11:41 #61 by newcarlislefan
Replied by newcarlislefan on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
It's only an opinion and as a newcomer perhaps I see things a little differently. As I've said before perhaps with decades behind me at BP I might be inclined to be less positive, I don't know.
There's clearly a few on here who have had day to day dealings with Keith, bluebry for example, who have much greater knowledge and experience of Keith so are perhaps in a better position to judge overall.
What was always interesting for me and is still the case is just how so incredibly divided, certainly on here anyway, people are on Keith.
Coming into L2 football just a few years ago I looked at the league and thought that there were perhaps 10 or 12 sides who appeared on similar budgets and any of those could get up.
Pompey, Luton, Coventry, Wycombe, Doncaster etc all looked nailed on to go up for me and they did go up.
But, I'd also say that I thought Notts County, Mansfield, Exeter and Swindon would be up by now and maybe us.
It's interesting now that the top 3 sides are 2 that came down and 1 that's recently come up.
You can imagine the budgets currently dwarf ours so I think credit is due to Sheridan (and Curle) for having us where we currently are, right on their coat tails.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 11:51 #62 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

heilkmoon wrote: I've no problem with club making money by selling players.

For it to work though you need to own the players in the first place so they are yours to sell on for a profit.


Agreed yes but the loan system isn't gonna change and can be a positive..alas also a big negative...like now!

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 22:28 #63 by bluebry
Replied by bluebry on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

munchymagic wrote:

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)


Ha,ha,ha just seen this Munchy, bloody hell your really scraping the barrel here me old mate!!!
So its OK for you to go on their forum and tell them all how 'God Like' Curle is, but its not acceptable for anybody to go on their site and warn them what to expect, sorry mate didn't realise it worked like that????
And yes one of their fans did mention that I sounded 'bitter', but ask yourself this, why the bloody hell would I be bitter?
Anyway Munchy lad take a look at their forum now, a hell of a lot more of them sound a lot more 'bitter' than I did, bitter that they took on Curle in the first place.
It may all change on Saturday and we are the ones that are left 'bitter', but it wont change my opinion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • munchymagic
  • Away
  • Team Captain
  • Team Captain
More
10 Jan 2019 22:32 #64 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)


Ha,ha,ha just seen this Munchy, bloody hell your really scraping the barrel here me old mate!!!
So its OK for you to go on their forum and tell them all how 'God Like' Curle is, but its not acceptable for anybody to go on their site and warn them what to expect, sorry mate didn't realise it worked like that????
And yes one of their fans did mention that I sounded 'bitter', but ask yourself this, why the bloody hell would I be bitter?
Anyway Munchy lad take a look at their forum now, a hell of a lot more of them sound a lot more 'bitter' than I did, bitter that they took on Curle in the first place.
It may all change on Saturday and we are the ones that are left 'bitter', but it wont change my opinion.


Don't take it like that Bry - I thought that the whole thing was a laugh and they took it that way too, some agreed with you as well :)
The following user(s) Liked this post:: bluebry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 22:35 #65 by bluebry
Replied by bluebry on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)


Ha,ha,ha just seen this Munchy, bloody hell your really scraping the barrel here me old mate!!!
So its OK for you to go on their forum and tell them all how 'God Like' Curle is, but its not acceptable for anybody to go on their site and warn them what to expect, sorry mate didn't realise it worked like that????
And yes one of their fans did mention that I sounded 'bitter', but ask yourself this, why the bloody hell would I be bitter?
Anyway Munchy lad take a look at their forum now, a hell of a lot more of them sound a lot more 'bitter' than I did, bitter that they took on Curle in the first place.
It may all change on Saturday and we are the ones that are left 'bitter', but it wont change my opinion.


Don't take it like that Bry - I thought that the whole thing was a laugh and they took it that way too, some agreed with you as well :)


Hey mate its a laugh to me as well, I suppose at the end of the day you and me will never agree about Curle, lets just hope that you and me have massive smiles on our faces come 5pm on Saturday and old Curly Chops is feeling a little glum, even if its only for the one game!!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • munchymagic
  • Away
  • Team Captain
  • Team Captain
More
10 Jan 2019 22:39 #66 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)


Ha,ha,ha just seen this Munchy, bloody hell your really scraping the barrel here me old mate!!!
So its OK for you to go on their forum and tell them all how 'God Like' Curle is, but its not acceptable for anybody to go on their site and warn them what to expect, sorry mate didn't realise it worked like that????
And yes one of their fans did mention that I sounded 'bitter', but ask yourself this, why the bloody hell would I be bitter?
Anyway Munchy lad take a look at their forum now, a hell of a lot more of them sound a lot more 'bitter' than I did, bitter that they took on Curle in the first place.
It may all change on Saturday and we are the ones that are left 'bitter', but it wont change my opinion.


Don't take it like that Bry - I thought that the whole thing was a laugh and they took it that way too, some agreed with you as well :)


Hey mate its a laugh to me as well, I suppose at the end of the day you and me will never agree about Curle, lets just hope that you and me have massive smiles on our faces come 5pm on Saturday and old Curly Chops is feeling a little glum, even if its only for the one game!!!!


I will certainly go with that one pal UP THE BLUES :)
The following user(s) Liked this post:: bluebry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 22:50 #67 by NORTHERNSOUL
Replied by NORTHERNSOUL on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)


Ha,ha,ha just seen this Munchy, bloody hell your really scraping the barrel here me old mate!!!
So its OK for you to go on their forum and tell them all how 'God Like' Curle is, but its not acceptable for anybody to go on their site and warn them what to expect, sorry mate didn't realise it worked like that????
And yes one of their fans did mention that I sounded 'bitter', but ask yourself this, why the bloody hell would I be bitter?
Anyway Munchy lad take a look at their forum now, a hell of a lot more of them sound a lot more 'bitter' than I did, bitter that they took on Curle in the first place.
It may all change on Saturday and we are the ones that are left 'bitter', but it wont change my opinion.


Don't take it like that Bry - I thought that the whole thing was a laugh and they took it that way too, some agreed with you as well :)


Hey mate its a laugh to me as well, I suppose at the end of the day you and me will never agree about Curle, lets just hope that you and me have massive smiles on our faces come 5pm on Saturday and old Curly Chops is feeling a little glum, even if its only for the one game!!!!


I will certainly go with that one pal UP THE BLUES :)


Well i reckon we should chuck the lot at them in the first 10 minutes while Curles boys are trying to earn the right to play as he used to put it

" if the old git stepped out in front of my car i wouldnt be looking for the brakes thats for sure "

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • munchymagic
  • Away
  • Team Captain
  • Team Captain
More
10 Jan 2019 23:01 #68 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

bluebry wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

thetashkentterror wrote: You've moved on?

You sure?


Funny story for you Tashy - I went onto that Northampton site to see how the fans were finding Keith the other month and there was Blubry in all his pomp telling the Northampton fans what to expect from Keith Curle and wading in there.

I logged on and gave my opinion too and it was all a bit of a laugh - but in the end their opinion was that Bry sounded as slightly bitter - not obviously because of losing Curle to Northampton.

So when you say I haven't moved on then Bry is by fact ahead of me on that one as he took the bother to seek out a Northampton messageboard to get his point across on :)


Ha,ha,ha just seen this Munchy, bloody hell your really scraping the barrel here me old mate!!!
So its OK for you to go on their forum and tell them all how 'God Like' Curle is, but its not acceptable for anybody to go on their site and warn them what to expect, sorry mate didn't realise it worked like that????
And yes one of their fans did mention that I sounded 'bitter', but ask yourself this, why the bloody hell would I be bitter?
Anyway Munchy lad take a look at their forum now, a hell of a lot more of them sound a lot more 'bitter' than I did, bitter that they took on Curle in the first place.
It may all change on Saturday and we are the ones that are left 'bitter', but it wont change my opinion.


Don't take it like that Bry - I thought that the whole thing was a laugh and they took it that way too, some agreed with you as well :)


Hey mate its a laugh to me as well, I suppose at the end of the day you and me will never agree about Curle, lets just hope that you and me have massive smiles on our faces come 5pm on Saturday and old Curly Chops is feeling a little glum, even if its only for the one game!!!!


I will certainly go with that one pal UP THE BLUES :)


Well i reckon we should chuck the lot at them in the first 10 minutes while Curles boys are trying to earn the right to play as he used to put it


I will go for that.

Dodgy game for us this one as in the ex-manager but I reckon we have enough to get something out of it.

He knows our squad and how to stop them - but doing so is another thing and hopefully Hope will tear them a new one and Etuhu will be putting himself about a bit as usual.

I reckon that the players that Curle wanted so badly for Carlisle will return to bite him on the arse in his new job.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2019 14:56 #69 by lbtufty
Replied by lbtufty on topic Director’s Press Conference - Jan 19
Just a guess but was the last time we faced a former manager back when we played out a 1-1 draw against John Ward's Colon-chester at their gaff back in March 2012?

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.