Gary Liddle

  • Markovitch
  • Markovitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Playmaker
  • Playmaker
More
12 Jan 2019 11:58 #1 by Markovitch
Gary Liddle was created by Markovitch
When GL first signed for us I thought he was an appalling player and I mercilessly slagged him off. He turned around those early performances and he has become the best, or close to, performer in our team. While we all focus on new signings the bulk of the first team are up for renewal in the next few months. I hope GL is top of the list to be offered a new contract and we get to see him in the blue and white next season

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 12:06 #2 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Gary Liddle
I’ve never thought he was an appalling player. I thought he struggled in a shit back 4 in his first 6 months, but that’s it.

Sheridan said awhile ago that he’d like more players like him, not going to get all the plaudits but a consistent solid 7/10 player most weeks.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 13:10 #3 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Gary Liddle
Probably helps that he’s played mainly the same position this season as well. Hazard of being pretty decent in a number of spots.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 13:12 - 12 Jan 2019 13:13 #4 by lummy8
Replied by lummy8 on topic Gary Liddle
No matter how bad his form might have been you don’t have the career he had before joining us if you are a bad player.

And when he did struggle he was never “appalling”.

Bet he is relieved you are on his side now Marko.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2019 13:13 by lummy8.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: seesaw50, Kaiser Blue, oscarsnowball99

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 13:16 - 12 Jan 2019 13:18 #5 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Gary Liddle
The best thing about being on the run we're on is it's difficult to criticize anybody...and it proves players don't suddenly become bad players .....so many vagaries to being on or off form.
Coyb

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Last edit: 12 Jan 2019 13:18 by seesaw50.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 17:24 #6 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Gary Liddle

lummy8 wrote: No matter how bad his form might have been you don’t have the career he had before joining us if you are a bad player.

And when he did struggle he was never “appalling”.

Bet he is relieved you are on his side now Marko.


He was appalling at Mansfield 2 seasons ago, an absolutely gutless, lazy performance.

I like Liddle but after a decent start he had a really poor spell which coincided with out woeful run in the play-off season, think it was Cambridge and Barnet at home he was terrible. Been a quality player for the side the last season and a half though.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 17:26 #7 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Gary Liddle
Hardly mentioned in commentary today mind!

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 07:46 - 13 Jan 2019 07:46 #8 by Mouldy
Replied by Mouldy on topic Gary Liddle
He done an interview not so long ago which eluded to joining from a league above and pressuring himself to try the ‘clever’ stuff too much. (Remember when he used to always try to bring it down or volley rather than stick his head on it?). Went on to say he stripped his game right back to doing the simple things very well and that he’s glad.

I think he’s the sort of player you keep to retire at your club.

all views my own
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 07:46 by Mouldy.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, NORTHERNSOUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 10:43 #9 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Gary Liddle
The problem with lower league football is that the vast majority of players in it are those that have played or aspired to play at a higher level.
Therefore you are going to be watching mediocre players by professional standards.
Of course, compared to the amateur game, these players are very talented indeed.
Fans will moan and criticise players when their team loses, but then that is part of the game.
Its the sort of smugness that some players seem to have that rubs fans up the wrong way, like ‘I’d like to see you do better’.
Liddle doesn’t seem that sort of character at all and he is definitely an unsung hero in the team.
Give me players like that any day over the badge kissing types.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markovitch
  • Markovitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Playmaker
  • Playmaker
More
13 Jan 2019 11:29 #10 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Gary Liddle

lummy8 wrote: No matter how bad his form might have been you don’t have the career he had before joining us if you are a bad player.

And when he did struggle he was never “appalling”.

Bet he is relieved you are on his side now Marko.


I hope he takes it as the compliment and sign of respect it was meant to be. As 182 said, a true unsung hero. And players do take notice of fans opinions, no shortage of players who put 'supporters player of the year' on their wiki pages.
Think we've got a chance of going up? What positions would you prioritize to strengthen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 15:58 #11 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Gary Liddle
Gary Liddle is quality and like Mouldy says he is one to keep hold of.

Would be happy to be proved wrong but I think that he will be off as he is one of the clubs highest earners I would guess and there is no way Holdsworth will pay him what KC was.

Holdsworth will be looking at his wage and thinking 'I could get three crap players in the door for what we pay him'.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, NORTHERNSOUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 21:09 #12 by lummy8
Replied by lummy8 on topic Gary Liddle
I think we may be able to keep Liddle even if we have to offer him a reduction.

Age,location,stage of career I feel he would want to stay and say for the sake of maybe an extra £200/£300 per month elsewhere,he may well just decide to stay where he is well regarded and happy.

I have never understood Wiki, a mate of mine doctored his former managers at Shrewsbury calling him a clown. I have been robbed of around 30 appearances on mine as well!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 21:24 - 13 Jan 2019 21:26 #13 by CCU
Replied by CCU on topic Gary Liddle
My worry with the likes of Grainger and Liddle, is that when Holdsworth came in the CUSG Meeting, he said the days of older players seeing out their time here were gone.

It would be crazy to not have some seniority in the dressing room though? Thoughts on that aspect Lummy?

And in Grainger and Liddle we have two experienced (Both will be 33 come the start of next Season, and both have hundreds of appearances), respected Players, who perform at a more than adequate level.

Chuck in Collins who’ll be 34, and that’s an experienced edge to our future squad.

Captain and Vice-Captain, for me, they should be the first two offered deals for next Season...

Win or Lose, Up The Blues!
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 21:26 by CCU.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: lbtufty, Croydonblue, NORTHERNSOUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 21:28 - 13 Jan 2019 21:29 #14 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Gary Liddle

CCU wrote: My worry with the likes of Grainger and Liddle, is that when Holdsworth came in the CUSG Meeting, he said the days of older players seeing out their time here were gone.

It would be crazy to not have some seniority in the dressing room though? Thoughts on that aspect Lummy?

And in Grainger and Liddle we have two experienced (Both will be 33 come the start of next Season, and both have hundreds of appearances), respected Players, who perform at a more than adequate level.

Chuck in Collins who’ll be 34, and that’s an experienced edge to our future squad.

Captain and Vice-Captain, for me, they should be the first two offered deals for next Season...


Problem is that they could get better money elsewhere - not many of our players are respected loved by the owners are they wen they want out themselves, all about money.

No money, you can only sign crap players.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 21:29 by munchymagic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 21:32 #15 by howoldboy
Replied by howoldboy on topic Gary Liddle
Is Roddy back then?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 01:53 #16 by Piglet_Phoenix
Replied by Piglet_Phoenix on topic Gary Liddle
Bringing Liddle into the centre of our defence for the last half of the season when Curle f_cked promotion up for us was an unmitigated disaster.

If you look at the goals we conceded, time and again Liddle was culpable. He struggled to tackle, was powderpuff in the air and his use of the ball was atrocious. In fact, if we'd played with ten men and left Liddle out of the side it wouldn't have made any difference - and this continued at the top end of last season right up until the moment we brought Clint Hill into the club.

Playing alongside Hill seemed to settle him down and his confidence gradually grew so much so that by the end of the season he was undoubtedly our most improved player. This season the improvement has continued (now at full-back) and where Curle had clearly told him to hoof the ball long, Sheridan and the current management team have encouraged him to pass the ball more and express himself going forward.

It's to his absolute credit he's made the right-back position his own and he's raised his level of performance to such commendable heights. I'd agree with Marko, after his first six months at the club it's an incredible turn around.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Markovitch
  • Markovitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Playmaker
  • Playmaker
More
14 Jan 2019 07:52 #17 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Gary Liddle
Is he doing his coaching badges? If we are looking at cost-cutting surely him and Granger on 1 year contracts as player/ coach. Getting that on his cv has a value going forward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 11:36 #18 by lummy8
Replied by lummy8 on topic Gary Liddle
Say I was at Carlisle at the age of 31, and I was on lets say £1000 (made up figures), my contract was up, I was from the north east/north west.

Yeovil, Orient, Newport or somewhere offered me £1200 to go there on a 2 year deal, Carlisle offered 1 year on £1000, I still feel it is a tough decision, I am settled, family are settled, I am playing, I have another contract here, I believe in myself to play again next season so I am confident I will get another year after this one.

These are the reasons why I don't think it is panic stations with Grainger especially and Liddle, they have done enough to be offered, Liddle will know his wage will probably be cut, but all the factors above might mean he would rather stay, different if it a 24/25 yr old.

I think Danny took a cut from when he first arrived, had interest from Scotland, but was settled here.

Thirlwell wage dropped every year, but every year had a little more to do with coaching.

I am up for intergrating players into the coaching, but just because they have their badges or are experienced, doesn't mean we should always do this, plus when the player starts mixing in with the management staff, the dynamic in the dressing room changes amongst his team mates, ie Kav.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 11:43 #19 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Gary Liddle

lummy8 wrote: Say I was at Carlisle at the age of 31, and I was on lets say £1000 (made up figures), my contract was up, I was from the north east/north west.

Yeovil, Orient, Newport or somewhere offered me £1200 to go there on a 2 year deal, Carlisle offered 1 year on £1000, I still feel it is a tough decision, I am settled, family are settled, I am playing, I have another contract here, I believe in myself to play again next season so I am confident I will get another year after this one.

These are the reasons why I don't think it is panic stations with Grainger especially and Liddle, they have done enough to be offered, Liddle will know his wage will probably be cut, but all the factors above might mean he would rather stay, different if it a 24/25 yr old.

I think Danny took a cut from when he first arrived, had interest from Scotland, but was settled here.

Thirlwell wage dropped every year, but every year had a little more to do with coaching.

I am up for intergrating players into the coaching, but just because they have their badges or are experienced, doesn't mean we should always do this, plus when the player starts mixing in with the management staff, the dynamic in the dressing room changes amongst his team mates, ie Kav.


I think he was paying us at the end. :-D
The following user(s) Liked this post:: howoldboy, ParcelPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 11:55 #20 by lbtufty
Replied by lbtufty on topic Gary Liddle

nobbyblue wrote:

lummy8 wrote: Say I was at Carlisle at the age of 31, and I was on lets say £1000 (made up figures), my contract was up, I was from the north east/north west.

Yeovil, Orient, Newport or somewhere offered me £1200 to go there on a 2 year deal, Carlisle offered 1 year on £1000, I still feel it is a tough decision, I am settled, family are settled, I am playing, I have another contract here, I believe in myself to play again next season so I am confident I will get another year after this one.

These are the reasons why I don't think it is panic stations with Grainger especially and Liddle, they have done enough to be offered, Liddle will know his wage will probably be cut, but all the factors above might mean he would rather stay, different if it a 24/25 yr old.

I think Danny took a cut from when he first arrived, had interest from Scotland, but was settled here.

Thirlwell wage dropped every year, but every year had a little more to do with coaching.

I am up for intergrating players into the coaching, but just because they have their badges or are experienced, doesn't mean we should always do this, plus when the player starts mixing in with the management staff, the dynamic in the dressing room changes amongst his team mates, ie Kav.


I think he was paying us at the end. :-D


So it wasn't just his passing that was continually going sideways and backwards :-o

"If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2019 00:22 #21 by Bluedevil
Replied by Bluedevil on topic Gary Liddle
Cant believe that somebody was willing to call Liddle 'appalling', he got buggered about with Curles tinkering and so we were never going to see the best of him, give me another 4 Gary Liddle's in the team and I'll be well happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.