Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

More
29 Aug 2019 08:17 #751 by Bumble
Replied by Bumble on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Croydonblue wrote: Sorry people it's not difficult. Look at his previous spells at Coventry and Fleetwood where he achieved nothing. Particularly where he took over a top rated side and screwed them up.
History is repeating g itself as it normally does with incompetent managers like him. Last week he wanted an analyst this week he is blaming th refs.
The bloke is useless FFS and combined with Holdsworth what are you hoping for?


I really don't understand that way of thinking. What a manager (or player) does elsewhere is rarely relevant to us as long as they have the basic tools for the job.

Look back over the last 25 years and our two most successful managers were Simpson and Wadsworth. Both were nothing better than mediocre at managing league teams anywhere else.

For a club to be successful, the whole club has to want success, not just to keep going and I think this is going to be a tough period for any manager. On top of that having to bring in so many new players at once, I just don't understand how anyone could expect any consistency for the first few games, it was always going to be a rocky road.

I don't know if Pressley will pull it round. I really hope he does. He wasn't my choice for manager, but he got it, he's working hard to get things right and to me he needs time.

Judging him on his past record is rather like saying Kev Gray was crap cos he was rubbish at Tranmere.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pigeonpete, Lakelandterrier, Flatcap, seesaw50, bluebry and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 09:16 #752 by pigeonpete
Replied by pigeonpete on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Bumble, you cant come on here sprouting common sense. It just isnt done.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: seesaw50, bluebry, BlueBanana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 09:24 - 29 Aug 2019 09:43 #753 by Moylesey
Replied by Moylesey on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Bumble wrote:

Croydonblue wrote: Sorry people it's not difficult. Look at his previous spells at Coventry and Fleetwood where he achieved nothing. Particularly where he took over a top rated side and screwed them up.
History is repeating g itself as it normally does with incompetent managers like him. Last week he wanted an analyst this week he is blaming th refs.
The bloke is useless FFS and combined with Holdsworth what are you hoping for?


I really don't understand that way of thinking. What a manager (or player) does elsewhere is rarely relevant to us as long as they have the basic tools for the job.

Look back over the last 25 years and our two most successful managers were Simpson and Wadsworth. Both were nothing better than mediocre at managing league teams anywhere else.

For a club to be successful, the whole club has to want success, not just to keep going and I think this is going to be a tough period for any manager. On top of that having to bring in so many new players at once, I just don't understand how anyone could expect any consistency for the first few games, it was always going to be a rocky road.

I don't know if Pressley will pull it round. I really hope he does. He wasn't my choice for manager, but he got it, he's working hard to get things right and to me he needs time.

Judging him on his past record is rather like saying Kev Gray was crap cos he was rubbish at Tranmere.


That's as maybe Bumble but...

P W D L %
Carlisle United 28 9 7 12 32.1 16 Jan 2019 - Present

League Position 21st
Carabao Cup - out
Last edit: 29 Aug 2019 09:43 by Moylesey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 09:45 #754 by Bumble
Replied by Bumble on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Moylesey wrote:

Bumble wrote:

Croydonblue wrote: Sorry people it's not difficult. Look at his previous spells at Coventry and Fleetwood where he achieved nothing. Particularly where he took over a top rated side and screwed them up.
History is repeating g itself as it normally does with incompetent managers like him. Last week he wanted an analyst this week he is blaming th refs.
The bloke is useless FFS and combined with Holdsworth what are you hoping for?


I really don't understand that way of thinking. What a manager (or player) does elsewhere is rarely relevant to us as long as they have the basic tools for the job.

Look back over the last 25 years and our two most successful managers were Simpson and Wadsworth. Both were nothing better than mediocre at managing league teams anywhere else.

For a club to be successful, the whole club has to want success, not just to keep going and I think this is going to be a tough period for any manager. On top of that having to bring in so many new players at once, I just don't understand how anyone could expect any consistency for the first few games, it was always going to be a rocky road.

I don't know if Pressley will pull it round. I really hope he does. He wasn't my choice for manager, but he got it, he's working hard to get things right and to me he needs time.

Judging him on his past record is rather like saying Kev Gray was crap cos he was rubbish at Tranmere.


That's as maybe Bumble but...

P W D L %
Carlisle United 28 9 7 12 32.1 16 Jan 2019 - Present


Totally agree the stats are worrying BUT:

Losing the big three players in January killed any hope of play offs, I don't think anyone would deny that. Maybe Pressley could have brought better reinforcements in, but January is a notoriously difficult window when all the prices are much higher than the summer. so he was left with mostly not his team and mostly not the stars of the previous team. In those circumstances I think Sheridan would have struggled had he stayed.

Having brought in a load of players in the summer, many who didn't see much of the preseason, I think it woul be a miracle if they had jelled together by the end of August, some aren't even properly fit yet. He needs time to settle them into a team. The alternative is to sack him, wait at least three weeks for a new manager to be appointed and get some one in to make something of a team he probarbly wouldn't have chosen, with no way of changing personel until January and no money to make the changes anyway. I can't see that working out well.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pigeonpete, ROOSTER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 09:54 #755 by Flatcap
Replied by Flatcap on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
I think that the best two performances this season have been in the league cup. Both away from home and against teams from higher leagues.
So it's not all doom and gloom.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pigeonpete, ROOSTER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 10:24 - 29 Aug 2019 10:27 #756 by lummy8
Replied by lummy8 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
We can all have our opinions on why we think SP should have more time, not have more time, play this player or that player or this formation or that formation.

End of the day, like all before him, it is a results business, some supporters prefer a 4-3 exciting defeat rather then a boring 1-0 win, they really do I have spoke to half a dozen!

But...the board, EWM, DH go on results, at the end of the day it is a results business to them, no matter how well we play or how unlucky we may be.

We go to the bottom of the league team Saturday, they are on a bad run, we NEED to take something from it, we SHOULD take something from it.

I like SP, I want him to do well, I believe we will be ok with the players we have plus the standard of the league, but we must start winning games simple as that.

And regarding Rochdale, I thought we were ok against an under strength Rochdale, it turned into a testimonial from half time until McKirdy came on, then we had a bit of a push and their young players panicked, it was a missed chance for me even with the appeal. Brave? not really.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2019 10:27 by lummy8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 13:35 #757 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Piglet_Phoenix wrote: The only person to blame for the size and strength of our midfield yesterday was Pressley himself.

You know Stevenage are going to be a physical team yet you play Slater (whose form has been abysmal) in the hub of it all flanked by Scougall and O'Hare? What else do you think is going to happen when you play three midgets in midfield?



This what’s worrying me at the moment. The above post is from piglet after the Stevenage away defeat in April.

Guess what? New season, new players, yet the same old problems of having a physically weak midfield and a manager seemingly unwilling to change it despite us getting bullied in nearly every away game.

He’s either stubborn or just doesn’t learn from his mistakes. But he needs to start learning, fast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thetashkentterror
  • Offline
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
29 Aug 2019 14:05 #758 by thetashkentterror
Replied by thetashkentterror on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
One day people might stop mentioning Kevin Gray, who is far more of the exception than the rule.

I'd just like Pressley to stop talking about amazing performances every time we get beat.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thetashkentterror
  • Offline
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
29 Aug 2019 14:10 #759 by thetashkentterror
Replied by thetashkentterror on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

lummy8 wrote: We can all have our opinions on why we think SP should have more time, not have more time, play this player or that player or this formation or that formation.

End of the day, like all before him, it is a results business, some supporters prefer a 4-3 exciting defeat rather then a boring 1-0 win, they really do I have spoke to half a dozen!

But...the board, EWM, DH go on results, at the end of the day it is a results business to them, no matter how well we play or how unlucky we may be.

We go to the bottom of the league team Saturday, they are on a bad run, we NEED to take something from it, we SHOULD take something from it.

I like SP, I want him to do well, I believe we will be ok with the players we have plus the standard of the league, but we must start winning games simple as that.

And regarding Rochdale, I thought we were ok against an under strength Rochdale, it turned into a testimonial from half time until McKirdy came on, then we had a bit of a push and their young players panicked, it was a missed chance for me even with the appeal. Brave? not really.



Agreed. Be better if we were 'brave' at 0-0, rather than at 2-0 down when the other team have taken their foot off the gas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 16:29 #760 by Bumble
Replied by Bumble on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

thetashkentterror wrote: One day people might stop mentioning Kevin Gray, who is far more of the exception than the rule.

I'd just like Pressley to stop talking about amazing performances every time we get beat.


Maybe a bit lazy of me using the Kev Gray illustration, it's a bit of a cliche, true, which means folk knew what I'm getting at when I used it, but I don't really think such cases are terribly rare.

Look at the way we were told Jabo was finished by Orient fans.

Look at the way our fans offered to drive Paddy Madden to Yeovil, or Nakhi Wells to Bradford City. While not common, neither is it that rare that a players form does differ from club to club, often due to a change of formation or having the right player to work alongside.

My original point stands that neither of our best managers in the last 25 years replicated that level of winning at any other club. So looking at a managers past record, while relevant in terms of professionalism, workrate and ability to deal with fans and press, may not be a form guide standing alone. Surely the state of the club, it's desire to move forward and it's financial position must play a very big part in how well a managers succeeds.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pigeonpete, Lakelandterrier, Flatcap, seesaw50

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 17:37 #761 by AlbertRoss
Replied by AlbertRoss on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Flatcap wrote: I think that the best two performances this season have been in the league cup. Both away from home and against teams from higher leagues.
So it's not all doom and gloom.



Yes, probably because those teams took us lightly/couldn't be bothered/played weakened sides and allowed us to play.

Conversely, we have come unstuck in League 2 against teams who have got amongst us and exposed our weaknesses.

Bottom line is results count and whatever the theoretical merits of how this squad might develop, the reality is that they are not a good team right now, and they need to start getting results quickly or risk being mired at the bottom, which will severely impair the said development.

Sure, if we listen to the manager and players, there's nowt to worry about, all we need to do is to cut out individual errors and we'll be fine.

That's what we used to hear when we were struggling under the likes of Martin Wilkinson - "we just need to string a run of wins together" etc. The reality was we used to string defeats together.

They're playing some great football, but you've got to be able to grind out results first and foremost, then you can play your football.

Looking naïve, brittle and lightweight right now.

Having said that, I do hope this manager and team can make it work, but, as said above, you get fed up of being told things are really amazing when they're clearly not. Heard that bullsh1t before.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: musher441, Wukkie, seesaw50, Croydonblue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 19:35 #762 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Let's see how we get on at Scunthorpe. But if we are 24th after that game, we don't have the worst budget in this division, we certainly don't have the worst players so its down to organisation. Platitudes are nice but points are better. If Pressley can't get them there are no shortage of people who can have a go.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: musher441, Croydonblue, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 20:41 #763 by Taffy-P
Replied by Taffy-P on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Saturdays result might be pivotal !!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2019 20:50 #764 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
I think he needs to be given a date and a target ie if we are not out of the bottom6 by 30 September/ 15 October then thank you and good night. If a new manager is coming in he needs time to appraise the squad and work out what is needed before the transfer window. We can't keep making excuses
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Croydonblue, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 15:23 - 30 Aug 2019 15:31 #765 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
You can come out with all the usual stuff about losing players in Jan and the rebuilding of the squad etc but his away record in the league is dismal to say the least.

Played 11
W 1
D 3
L 7
For 6 Against 18
Points 6 out of 33

Haven't won away since end of Jan.

Surely the way he sets up away from home isn't working no matter who the personnel is. He doesn't seem to be able change things during games at all.

He's making Shez and Keith look like Klopp and Guardiola respectively.

I suppose he's got to be given time. :-D
Last edit: 30 Aug 2019 15:31 by nobbyblue.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, Croydonblue, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 15:41 #766 by heilkmoon
Replied by heilkmoon on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Speaks very well after each defeat though.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: nobbyblue, Wukkie, Mush, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 15:42 - 30 Aug 2019 15:44 #767 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
It’s diabolical. No excuses for it.

It’s also worth remembering that the one victory came through a late goal in a game where the opposition played 50 minutes down to 10 men.

It was so frustrating towards the end of last season when our home form picked up. We’d play really well and win at home then keep losing away games. We couldn’t even beat already relegated Yeovil.

Shocking. If he fails to win tomorrow then questions really do need to be asked.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2019 15:44 by crunchblue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 15:43 #768 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

nobbyblue wrote: You can come out with all the usual stuff about losing players in Jan and the rebuilding of the squad etc but his away record in the league is dismal to say the least.

Played 11
W 1
D 3
L 7
For 6 Against 18
Points 6 out of 33

Haven't won away since end of Jan.

Surely the way he sets up away from home isn't working no matter who the personnel is. He doesn't seem to be able change things during games at all.

He's making Shez and Keith look like Klopp and Guardiola respectively.

I suppose he's got to be given time. :-D


That is more like relegation form.

He can do what he wants in my eyes basically regarding formations and substitutions as long as he starts winning some games.

How long can a manager last when we don't win many games and he puts it down to being unlucky but we played really, really well.

I hope that he can turn it around but I also hope to win the lottery this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 16:06 #769 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
You're not keen on the Scots though Munchy. If he'd been born in Bristol you'd be all for him. :-D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 16:42 - 30 Aug 2019 16:43 #770 by Urban Designer
Replied by Urban Designer on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
What's his home league record since he started out of interest?

That won't be good either!
Last edit: 30 Aug 2019 16:43 by Urban Designer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 17:17 #771 by Tonyhemmings
Replied by Tonyhemmings on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Urban Designer wrote: What's his home league record since he started out of interest?

That won't be good either!


Played 12
W 6
D 3
L 3
For 22
Against 19
Points 21 out of 36

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 17:31 #772 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

nobbyblue wrote: You're not keen on the Scots though Munchy. If he'd been born in Bristol you'd be all for him. :-D


I am half Scottish Nobby so that doesn't make sense.

Say if I was of coloured origin - it wouldn't mean I would want Ince or Barnes to be the next manager.

And before you mention Curle, he isn't even coloured according to our board :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 17:31 #773 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Home record is not bad and barring a couple of shockers e.g notts county, the performances have been pretty decent. Think Mansfield is the only home game we haven’t scored in under him.

It’s just a shame we’ll never get anywhere under him unless he learns how to set up a team to get results on the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 21:27 #774 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Much as I was more of a fan of a previous manager, who will be unnamed , than most folk, at least if we are trying to be on the front foot more , there is a chance that entertainment will break out.
You can 'earn the right to play' and 'win ugly' away or try to do better than that and accept you will be caught out at times.
Need some wins like eg tomorrow to lift the spirits.
Football likely to be generally more entertaining than recent seasons, I reckon, with possible similar results overall.
Most people would have taken that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 21:32 #775 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

182blue wrote: Much as I was more of a fan of a previous manager, who will be unnamed , than most folk, at least if we are trying to be on the front foot more , there is a chance that entertainment will break out.
You can 'earn the right to play' and 'win ugly' away or try to do better than that and accept you will be caught out at times.
Need some wins like eg tomorrow to lift the spirits.
Football likely to be generally more entertaining than recent seasons, I reckon, with possible similar results overall.
Most people would have taken that?


To be honest I don't find the possibility of being bottom of the entire football league tomorrow evening entertaining in the slightest.

A win however would certainly lift the mood but you have to earn it first.

If they thrash us alarm bells will be ringing this early into the season.

Not the BW word, just reality.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2019 21:43 #776 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Cagey, grinding tactics have been hated by most on here.
We all want the same thing which is Carlisle to win every game they play.
Way too early to panic and I have seen a lot of things I like as well as the bad stuff. Plenty to be optimistic about, I reckon.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Zebby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thetashkentterror
  • Offline
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
31 Aug 2019 00:43 #777 by thetashkentterror
Replied by thetashkentterror on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

nobbyblue wrote: You're not keen on the Scots though Munchy. If he'd been born in Bristol you'd be all for him. :-D


I am half Scottish Nobby so that doesn't make sense.

Say if I was of coloured origin - it wouldn't mean I would want Ince or Barnes to be the next manager.

And before you mention Curle, he isn't even coloured according to our board :)



I don't think many people think he's 'coloured' to be fair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 09:33 #778 by markredfox73
Replied by markredfox73 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
You know what is coming today..


Im getting ready to put a special anti piss protector over my mattress tonight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 10:04 #779 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Scunthorpe will have George Miller and Jamie Proctor up front so I don't think they'll be bottom for long.

But I've a funny feeling we might win today!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
  • my account was hacked
More
31 Aug 2019 10:17 #780 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
No, not good, the whole thing is misshaped.
Directors, CEO, Director of Football etc, and poor performance where it matters.

The business shape is upside down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 10:19 - 31 Aug 2019 10:27 #781 by PaddockRanger
Replied by PaddockRanger on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

nobbyblue wrote: You're not keen on the Scots though Munchy. If he'd been born in Bristol you'd be all for him. :-D


I am half Scottish Nobby so that doesn't make sense.

Say if I was of coloured origin - it wouldn't mean I would want Ince or Barnes to be the next manager.

And before you mention Curle, he isn't even coloured according to our board :)



Munchymagic......using the term 'coloured' to determine the reference of a black person is wrong! if any race is 'coloured' its 'white people'.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2019 10:27 by PaddockRanger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 10:22 #782 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
I never said owt!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 10:27 #783 by PaddockRanger
Replied by PaddockRanger on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

nobbyblue wrote: I never said owt!


my apologies...it was munchy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 14:51 #784 by Markovitch
Replied by Markovitch on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Hopkin doing a good job at morton. Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 14:58 #785 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

PaddockRanger wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

nobbyblue wrote: You're not keen on the Scots though Munchy. If he'd been born in Bristol you'd be all for him. :-D


I am half Scottish Nobby so that doesn't make sense.

Say if I was of coloured origin - it wouldn't mean I would want Ince or Barnes to be the next manager.

And before you mention Curle, he isn't even coloured according to our board :)



Munchymagic......using the term 'coloured' to determine the reference of a black person is wrong! if any race is 'coloured' its 'white people'.


Hard to know what term to use these days as the world has gone so pc.

Many like to be called black if said in the right tone - how on earth can that be determined when written down?
The following user(s) Liked this post:: franksidebottom, BlueBanana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2019 18:01 #786 by Yorkie Blue
Replied by Yorkie Blue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Regarding the thread title - improving.


Fish and chips and mushy peas are all my brain and body needs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 15:43 #787 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

PaddockRanger wrote:

munchymagic wrote:

nobbyblue wrote: You're not keen on the Scots though Munchy. If he'd been born in Bristol you'd be all for him. :-D


I am half Scottish Nobby so that doesn't make sense.

Say if I was of coloured origin - it wouldn't mean I would want Ince or Barnes to be the next manager.

And before you mention Curle, he isn't even coloured according to our board :)



Munchymagic......using the term 'coloured' to determine the reference of a black person is wrong! if any race is 'coloured' its 'white people'.


Wouldn’t it be easier if there was announcements every time a word became unsuitable and another word became more politically correct? It would certainly save a lot of unnecessary hurt and stress for our precious friends and would save innocent people from getting into trouble.

Maybe a monthly advert in all national newspapers or a little bulletin at the end of the 6 o’clock news.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 15:59 #788 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
See the Cowleys are in demand....good cop, bad cop

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 16:33 #789 by Bumble
Replied by Bumble on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
"Coloured" has been unacceptable since at least the 70s, it's not a new thing. My grandchildren tell me I'm behind the times, but surely no one is that far behind.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Mush

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 16:36 #790 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
However " a person of colour" is totally acceptable
Not sure if its only in this country where the term coloured is not acceptable.

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 16:45 - 01 Sep 2019 16:52 #791 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

seesaw50 wrote: However " a person of colour" is totally acceptable
Not sure if its only in this country where the term coloured is not acceptable.


Yeah sorry is the post caused any offence to anyone, it wasn't meant in a racist way at all.

In fact I even mentioned that if I was coloured at one point therefore I would be offending myself if I thought it was an offensive word.

Black is a colour anyhow as is white and yellow, the world should get over itself.

Start using the 'n' word and that is different.

If I lived in say Zimbabwe and I was described as being coloured I wouldn't start crying and running to the authorities citing racial hate.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2019 16:52 by munchymagic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 16:58 #792 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Can anyone explain why ‘coloured’ is unacceptable? Genuinely didn’t know it was!

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:02 #793 by crunchblue
Replied by crunchblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
I don’t know the exact reason why, but I’ve known it’s unacceptable since I was about 5.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:04 #794 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
It has been for many years. 'People of colour' is ok though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:05 #795 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

munchymagic wrote:

seesaw50 wrote: However " a person of colour" is totally acceptable
Not sure if its only in this country where the term coloured is not acceptable.


Yeah sorry is the post caused any offence to anyone, it wasn't meant in a racist way at all.

In fact I even mentioned that if I was coloured at one point therefore I would be offending myself if I thought it was an offensive word.

Black is a colour anyhow as is white and yellow, the world should get over itself.

Start using the 'n' word and that is different.

If I lived in say Zimbabwe and I was described as being coloured I wouldn't start crying and running to the authorities citing racial hate.


Yes I had South Africa in mind when I said not sure if it's only not acceptable here.

All this being offended stuff is pathetic....started by our old friends The Muslims

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:06 #796 by seesaw50
Replied by seesaw50 on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Oops...... Morphing of a thread alert

To have been born Cumbrian
is to have won the lottery of life !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:10 #797 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

franksidebottom wrote: Can anyone explain why ‘coloured’ is unacceptable? Genuinely didn’t know it was!


Me neither.

Confusing as some of the lads I worked with preferred this to being called black.

You can't win sometimes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:20 - 01 Sep 2019 17:26 #798 by Bumble
Replied by Bumble on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
I don't think it has anything to do with muslims, or any religous group.

As I understand it, it came about because of those who claimed white supremacy, particularly in America. In the 60s there was segregation on the buses. Cafes and shops displayed signs saying "no coloureds"" and the word coloured became a term for people of less worth (second class citizens) in some circles.

In some areas of the world, "coloured" is still acceptable but in the Uk it's seen as a derogatory term by many.

- From an OU course I did a couple of years ago.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2019 17:26 by Bumble.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Zebby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Waltero
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
01 Sep 2019 17:22 #799 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager
Don't the police have a coding for describing a person's ethneticity. IC1 2 and 3 ? Next time I see a Bobby I'll ask him or her to be PC
The following user(s) Liked this post:: munchymagic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2019 17:24 #800 by munchymagic
Replied by munchymagic on topic Steven Pressley Confirmed as Manager

Bumble wrote: I don't think it has anything to do with muslims, or any religous group.

As I understand it, it came about because of those who claimed white supremacy, particularly in America. In the 60s there was segregation on the buses. Cafes and shops displayed signs saying "no coloureds"" and the word coloured became a term for people of less worth (second class citizens) in some circles.

In some areas of the world, "coloured" is still acceptable but in the Uk it's seen as a derogatory term by many.


Strange that isn't it as 'you white [censored]' or 'you black [censored]' sound offensive but 'you coloured [censored]' doesn't have the same impact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.037 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.