Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Romany-George Bramwell Evens

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 10:39 #1

  • 1954Blue
  • 1954Blue's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 133
  • Likes received: 73
Came across one of the 'Romany' books in Carlisle library recently. I read a lot of them as a child in the 1950s. They are timeless natural history stories - very informative about animals, plants etc. He did a series of radio programmes which were played long after his death and I remember listening to -'Out with Romany' in the 50s. Each programme was an imaginary walk in the countryside with two young children and he points out and explains all sorts of things to them. Sometimes he takes them out in his vardo ( caravan ). His faithful companion, a cocker spaniel called Raq, also features a lot, as do talks with farmers, shepherds, gamekeepers and poachers.

Bramwell Evens was a minister and was in fact at the Methodist Central Hall in Carlisle from1914- 1926. His mother was a Romany and his love for the outdoors is beautifully written and conveyed.

I just wondered if anyone of a certain age remembers the books and radio programmes.
Last Edit: 12 Jan 2026 10:40 by 1954Blue. Reason: typo
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: bluestblue

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 10:42 #2

  • bluestblue
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 74
  • Likes received: 23
I remember the name and remember a bit about the concept of it all but most is lost in the mists of time
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 11:03 #3

  • Zebby
  • Zebby's Avatar
  • Online
  • Youth Team Player
  • Posts: 344
  • Likes received: 118
You wouldn't get away with that now...

A vicar taking young kids out into the countryside in his camper van with his cute doggy...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 12:46 #4

  • heilkmoon
  • heilkmoon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 137
  • Likes received: 58
I've got a few of the books but I'm too young to remember the original broadcasts. My grandparents lived in Kirkoswald and my Nan enjoyed the radio programmes. He used to stay at Old Parks farm near Kirkoswald and his ashes were scattered there.

romanysociety.org.uk/wp/?page_id=253
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: deepfathom

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 13:15 #5

  • Yatlowper
  • Yatlowper's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 29
  • Likes received: 8
As a young flower I too can't remember the radio books but I picked up a copy of s Cumbria Life magazine about 18 months ago and in it Eric Robson had written a piece about him and the connection to Penton Linns which fascinated me. I then realised his radio programme was shared with Auntie Muriel (who wrote lots of ladybird books), so given that connection I've acquired a couple of his books. They are in my 'to read' pile.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 13:23 #6

  • 1954Blue
  • 1954Blue's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 133
  • Likes received: 73
Thanks for the link, heilkmoon.

Sadly that's true, Zebby. The books and stories - some written as early as the 1920s - stand the test of time very well. I think he was way ahead of his time considering the radio programmes were first broadcast in the 1930s and could be said to be the forerunners of programmes like Countryfile etc. He also includes a few of his own sketches to illustrate the wildlife he talks about.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 12 Jan 2026 15:06 #7

  • deepfathom
  • deepfathom's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 39
  • Likes received: 4
'I've got a few of the books but I'm too young to remember the original broadcasts. My grandparents lived in Kirkoswald and my Nan enjoyed the radio programmes. He used to stay at Old Parks farm near Kirkoswald and his ashes were scattered there.'

There is a memorial to him near Old Parks farm too.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Romany-George Bramwell Evens 14 Jan 2026 16:25 #8

  • heilkmoon
  • heilkmoon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Ball Boy
  • Posts: 137
  • Likes received: 58
deepfathom wrote:
'I've got a few of the books but I'm too young to remember the original broadcasts. My grandparents lived in Kirkoswald and my Nan enjoyed the radio programmes. He used to stay at Old Parks farm near Kirkoswald and his ashes were scattered there.'

There is a memorial to him near Old Parks farm too.

Does your username have Kirkoswald significance? Seen it before and wondered!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Go to top