Bernardo Silva charged by FA

  • 182blue
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 09:51 - 03 Oct 2019 09:52 #1 by 182blue
Bernardo Silva charged by FA was created by 182blue
He has been charged by the FA due to his tweet to team-mate Mendy.
He is likely to be banned for 6 games.
His manager says he thinks there was nothing wrong in the tweet as it was just 'banter' between two mates.
Raheem Sterling , who has been the victim of racist abuse and has been rightly praised for standing up to racism, has defended Bernardo.
It seems that Man City fans are outraged about the decision, whilst supporters of rival clubs feel it is correct.
It seems to me that people are happy to see someone who isn't one of their mates hung out to dry and labelled as a horrible racist but will defend their mate in the same circumstances.
Honour in that, you might say, but surely there has to be some level of consistency?
It seems as if it is getting a bit silly to me.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 09:52 by 182blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • heilkmoon
  • heilkmoon's Avatar
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 10:31 #2 by heilkmoon
Replied by heilkmoon on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
No surprise at all he's been charged. Banter or not, twitter is a public forum and his joke was clearly unacceptable to publish in today's climate. Imagine the fuss if one of our players jokingly likened a team mate to the Robertson's golly online.

It might have been OK privately in the context of his friendship with Mendy but it wasn't OK to post it on twitter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 10:33 #3 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Strange one this.

I'm not offended by it, and this type of thing happens in private between friends and family all over the country, all the time.

He should know far better to do this on social media though, it was always going to be punished.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • 182blue
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 10:46 #4 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
I can accept he is in the wrong for all the reasons stated.
Seems that Sterling and Guardiola should be saying "he's a good lad who made an error of judgement. He is not a racist but we understand why he has been charged and accept this is correct." Not " he hasn't done anything wrong".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 10:54 #5 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Absolutely right.

It's hypocritical to say that we should be having zero tolerance on racism, but then say it's fine when it's just banter between friends because we know they mean nothing by it.

Where do you draw the line if not here? If someone was making monkey noises in the stands and then said "it was just banter, he loves it", that clearly wouldn't be accepted.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: cufcmike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Waltero
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 11:11 #6 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
I personally think it should be up to the recipient of the comments/banter whatever you want to call it, whether he/she was offended by what was said. Not the PC brigade
The following user(s) Liked this post:: pigeonpete, Mullen103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • heilkmoon
  • heilkmoon's Avatar
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 11:20 #7 by heilkmoon
Replied by heilkmoon on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

Waltero wrote: I personally think it should be up to the recipient of the comments/banter whatever you want to call it, whether he/she was offended by what was said. Not the PC brigade


If you post something on a public forum though, everyone who reads it is the recipient. If he'd said it privately to Mendy, or sent him a direct message, then no problem if Mendy wasn't offended.

Tweeting or publicly posting is sharing/telling the joke to all your followers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • cufcmike
  • cufcmike's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
03 Oct 2019 11:40 - 03 Oct 2019 11:58 #8 by cufcmike
Replied by cufcmike on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Not saying this punishment is too strong, but it seems daft that when John Terry called Anton Ferdinand a "Black Charlie Uniform November Tango" he only got a four match ban, when the intent to offend was far clearer.

Like I say, I'm not saying Bernardo Silva's punishment is too harsh, more that John Terry's wasn't harsh enough.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 11:58 by cufcmike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 11:45 #9 by digger
Replied by digger on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Another example of the stupid techno snowflake society we now live in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Waltero
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 11:48 #10 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
In this case the recipient,Mendy, said he wasn't offended, that's the point I was trying to make. Apart from this forum and CUFC Facebook I avoid social media. I know people who have been sacked over things said on it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • 182blue
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 12:14 - 03 Oct 2019 12:17 #11 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
You would think that these top players are as well steering clear of the whole thing.
Bound to get into trouble eventually.
Even PC king Gary Lineker is in trouble for poking fun at the Haka.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 12:17 by 182blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Waltero
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 12:29 #12 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
He wouldn't poke fun at a Maori. He'd crap his shorts again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 14:26 #13 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Quite sad that this is where we are as a society these days, bowing down to the tiny minority of people who actually find this sort of thing offensive.

Who are these people who find this tweet offensive? and why are people offended on behalf of others who aren’t offended? For those of us who think the tweet is wrong, why is it wrong? Take a step back, look at the tweet in its own merits and ask yourself why is it wrong? You think it’s wrong but don’t know why.

It’s simply a picture of Mendy when he was young next to a picture of a cartoon looking character who he bears a resemblance to. Pretty much the same as Aguero getting the nickname Kun as he bears a resemblance to a cartoon character called Kum Kum, or when Peter Crouch signed for Stoke and somebody put a picture of Rodney Trotter up on twitter welcoming him to the club. In fact we’ve probably all done it, seen a picture of someone who looks like one of our mates and compared the two in a joke - this is absolutely no different.

John Barnes hits the nail on the head and probably explains it better than I can, perhaps even coming from a black person might make people realise how innocuous the whole thing is.

www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/foo...tweet-was-not-racist

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Waltero
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 14:51 #14 by Waltero
Replied by Waltero on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
That's the point I was trying to put across earlier. If Mendy didn't mind why should the FA stick it's oar in or any other PC do gooder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 15:14 #15 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
I'm not sure anybody has actually said they're offended, that's not why he's being punished.

If you were to go to a fancy dress party this year for Halloween, would you even entertain the idea of going as a minstrel? I imagine the answer for the vast majority of people would be no, because you know that somebody, somewhere would take offence to it (whether you agree with that or not). This is exactly the same; you know better than to do that and in Bernardo Silva's position so should he.

If the answer to that's question's yes, it's because you want to stick it to the lefty loony PC brigade and it simply means you're a dick.

A line has to be drawn somewhere in terms of what defines racism, far better that it is on the more cautious and prudent side of the line than the alternative.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • thesilentone
  • thesilentone's Avatar
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
  • my account was hacked
More
03 Oct 2019 15:15 - 03 Oct 2019 15:17 #16 by thesilentone
Replied by thesilentone on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
You can thank John Major for political correctness, and the left for snowflakeness........

A friend is a Labour activist and planned to attend a recent meeting, on arrival he found he was excluded as he created an imbalance between male and female at the meeting.

Our over zealous Police force forget we live in Country where free-speech is a right.

Just because some of our left wing friends and associations have detailed hand-books on what is deemed acceptable and what is not, should not affect the rest of us.

Oh, and one way to help stop racism is to ban the words racist and racism !! and use abuser or [censored] idiot.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 15:17 by thesilentone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • heilkmoon
  • heilkmoon's Avatar
  • Away
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 15:21 #17 by heilkmoon
Replied by heilkmoon on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

franksidebottom wrote: Quite sad that this is where we are as a society these days, bowing down to the tiny minority of people who actually find this sort of thing offensive.

Who are these people who find this tweet offensive? and why are people offended on behalf of others who aren’t offended? For those of us who think the tweet is wrong, why is it wrong? Take a step back, look at the tweet in its own merits and ask yourself why is it wrong? You think it’s wrong but don’t know why.

It’s simply a picture of Mendy when he was young next to a picture of a cartoon looking character who he bears a resemblance to. Pretty much the same as Aguero getting the nickname Kun as he bears a resemblance to a cartoon character called Kum Kum, or when Peter Crouch signed for Stoke and somebody put a picture of Rodney Trotter up on twitter welcoming him to the club. In fact we’ve probably all done it, seen a picture of someone who looks like one of our mates and compared the two in a joke - this is absolutely no different.

John Barnes hits the nail on the head and probably explains it better than I can, perhaps even coming from a black person might make people realise how innocuous the whole thing is.

www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/foo...tweet-was-not-racist


Barnes' contrarian argument doesn't hold much water and neither do your comparisons with Crouch and Aguero.

The picture is a racial caricature. On that basis, "it's just a picture and there is a resemblance" (really?!) it would be fine to post a picture likening a black player to a golly, which it clearly wouldn't.

The Crouch/Rodney comparison is not based on race, it's about overall physical similarity between two real people, not between a person and cartoon stereotype where the only (supposedly) common features are brown skin, big lips and wide eyes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 15:25 #18 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

sirjimmyglass wrote: I'm not sure anybody has actually said they're offended, that's not why he's being punished.

If you were to go to a fancy dress party this year for Halloween, would you even entertain the idea of going as a minstrel? I imagine the answer for the vast majority of people would be no, because you know that somebody, somewhere would take offence to it (whether you agree with that or not). This is exactly the same; you know better than to do that and in Bernardo Silva's position so should he.

If the answer to that's question's yes, it's because you want to stick it to the lefty loony PC brigade and it simply means you're a dick.

A line has to be drawn somewhere in terms of what defines racism, far better that it is on the more cautious and prudent side of the line than the alternative.


Not sure why you’ve used a minstrel going to a Halloween party as an example but I get what you’re saying even if I don’t agree with it. Not sure this is in any way linked to going to a fancy dress party as a black person either.

“Someone, somewhere will take offence to it” isn’t a good enough reason to stop someone doing something either!

What is the difference between pointing out Mendy’s resemblance to a cartoon character and pointing out Aguero’s resemblance to one? One is deemed acceptable and the other isn’t. Why?

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 15:35 #19 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

heilkmoon wrote:

franksidebottom wrote: Quite sad that this is where we are as a society these days, bowing down to the tiny minority of people who actually find this sort of thing offensive.

Who are these people who find this tweet offensive? and why are people offended on behalf of others who aren’t offended? For those of us who think the tweet is wrong, why is it wrong? Take a step back, look at the tweet in its own merits and ask yourself why is it wrong? You think it’s wrong but don’t know why.

It’s simply a picture of Mendy when he was young next to a picture of a cartoon looking character who he bears a resemblance to. Pretty much the same as Aguero getting the nickname Kun as he bears a resemblance to a cartoon character called Kum Kum, or when Peter Crouch signed for Stoke and somebody put a picture of Rodney Trotter up on twitter welcoming him to the club. In fact we’ve probably all done it, seen a picture of someone who looks like one of our mates and compared the two in a joke - this is absolutely no different.

John Barnes hits the nail on the head and probably explains it better than I can, perhaps even coming from a black person might make people realise how innocuous the whole thing is.

www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/foo...tweet-was-not-racist


Barnes' contrarian argument doesn't hold much water and neither do your comparisons with Crouch and Aguero.

The picture is a racial caricature. On that basis, "it's just a picture and there is a resemblance" (really?!) it would be fine to post a picture likening a black player to a golly, which it clearly wouldn't.

The Crouch/Rodney comparison is not based on race, it's about overall physical similarity between two real people, not between a person and cartoon stereotype where the only (supposedly) common features are brown skin, big lips and wide eyes.


Why is it a racial caricature? It’s a cartoon type character which appeared on a packet of biscuits, you’re reading far too much into it. There is a definite resemblance between Mendy and the character hence why Silva posted it, even Mendy acknowledged this, yet you are arguing there’s no resemblance apart from the stereotyped features! Absolute nonsense. I would agree with you if it was say Rashford being compared to the character as he looks nothing like but Mendy actually does.

There’s absolutely no difference between saying Aguero looks like Kum Kum and Mendy looks like the character on the biscuit wrapper.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 15:46 #20 by carwash
Replied by carwash on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Bernardo Silva wasn't being racist but he has linked Mendy in the public consciousness to a cartoon character of a big-lipped black boy. It isn't that different from what Danny Baker did. The offence is one of gross thoughtlessness but it still requires some form of punishment otherwise it becomes acceptable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Dentonholmersimpson
  • Away
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
03 Oct 2019 16:15 #21 by Dentonholmersimpson
Replied by Dentonholmersimpson on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

carwash wrote: Bernardo Silva wasn't being racist but he has linked Mendy in the public consciousness to a cartoon character of a big-lipped black boy. It isn't that different from what Danny Baker did. The offence is one of gross thoughtlessness but it still requires some form of punishment otherwise it becomes acceptable.


If everyone was punished for ''gross thoughtfulness'' there would be a few culprits on here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 16:21 #22 by sirjimmyglass
Replied by sirjimmyglass on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

franksidebottom wrote:

sirjimmyglass wrote: I'm not sure anybody has actually said they're offended, that's not why he's being punished.

If you were to go to a fancy dress party this year for Halloween, would you even entertain the idea of going as a minstrel? I imagine the answer for the vast majority of people would be no, because you know that somebody, somewhere would take offence to it (whether you agree with that or not). This is exactly the same; you know better than to do that and in Bernardo Silva's position so should he.

If the answer to that's question's yes, it's because you want to stick it to the lefty loony PC brigade and it simply means you're a dick.

A line has to be drawn somewhere in terms of what defines racism, far better that it is on the more cautious and prudent side of the line than the alternative.


Not sure why you’ve used a minstrel going to a Halloween party as an example but I get what you’re saying even if I don’t agree with it. Not sure this is in any way linked to going to a fancy dress party as a black person either.

“Someone, somewhere will take offence to it” isn’t a good enough reason to stop someone doing something either!

What is the difference between pointing out Mendy’s resemblance to a cartoon character and pointing out Aguero’s resemblance to one? One is deemed acceptable and the other isn’t. Why?


I'm not saying the two are alike, I used an extreme example of something that we all know is something that you shouldn't do. You wouldn't do that because you know it would be seen as having racial connotations (again, whether you agree with that or not). A footballer posting a joke on social media for millions of people to see that could in any way be seen as racist is something they should know not to do.

Casual racism is funny until it goes too far and someone gets a banana skin thrown at them. If you have an alternative remedy for society so stop that from ever happening in this country then great, otherwise you have to accept that reactions to things like this will be OTT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 16:21 #23 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
If id posted it on twitter Raheem would no doubt say it was racist but seeing as its one of his mates hes decided it isnt. Thats the double standard for me.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, melbourneblues, cufcmike, franksidebottom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 20:01 #24 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Exactly the point Dancingbear, this whole racism argument is littered with double standards and hypocrisy. It’s okay for a team full of black players to call their sole white teammate “white boy” but it would be totally unacceptable if the roles were reversed. It’s okay to compare a white footballer to a cartoon character but it’s not okay to compare a black footballer with a cartoon character. It’s seemingly acceptable for a black rapper to use the ‘n’ word in a song but there’s be uproar if a white singer did it. I could go on and on with examples just to prove what a nonsense the whole subject is.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Bruntonpasty, Dancingbear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • 182blue
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
03 Oct 2019 21:23 - 03 Oct 2019 21:24 #25 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
The charge/likely ban is basically ineffective if people in general , team-mates and others do not accept it is fair.
Would be more effective if an apology from the player who admitted he was in the wrong and this message was reinforced by his club.
If you compare it to a workplace scenario -
A bloke has a bit of banter with some of his pals at work and then makes a racist joke as a bit of banter.
This upsets a colleague who complains.
It would most likely be resolved if he apologises, admits he was wrong and understands he needs to be careful In the future.
That would be the end of it.
There would also be an understanding that the person who made the complaint would not be treated less favourably in future. If this did happen, or a similar incident occurred , then formal action would ensue.

The problem with the football charge is that there is a suggestion it is not accepted , which becomes a massive problem and does nothing to address the underlying issue.

Someone mentioned John Terry earlier and I understand that outrage about the leniency of his puniahment at least partially contributed to this much tougher stance.

It's the acceptance of wrongdoing which is more important than the ban, for me.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 21:24 by 182blue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Dentonholmersimpson
  • Away
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
03 Oct 2019 21:24 #26 by Dentonholmersimpson
Replied by Dentonholmersimpson on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
I watched two black men on GMTV last week discussing the incident with Justin Trudeau and his blacking up twenty years ago.

One thought he was a racist, the other didn't.

I thought if they couldn't decide, what chance have I got.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 22:38 #27 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Another absolute nonsense, you’re only allowed to go to a fancy dress party as someone of the same skin colour now, unless of course a black person going as a white person is allowed under the double standards rule of racism.

It’s a fancy dress party FFS!

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 23:08 #28 by deeksme
Replied by deeksme on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
All racism is awful. But far worse IMHO is the institutional racism in society. The kind that means a white British manager is given more chances or time in football than a black one, for example.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: kickergold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2019 23:18 #29 by Mr Quint
Replied by Mr Quint on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Honestly I may be thick? I really maybe.
I have a friend who is white- he reminds me of Homer Simpson, I’ve said this to him.
I have another friend who is a white, ginger female, she honestly reminds me of Peppermint Patty- again I have stated this? My friend Dan looks like Virgil off thunderbirds (he really really does). He likened me to so called failed footballer Phil Jones? Now then my question is? Are these observations and likenesses racist?
Honestly is it also racist to liken a white person to a cartoon?
I am being serious? The thing for me is did he actually look like the cartoon image? Are people reading in a racist connotation that isn’t there?
Was I racist to liken Chris Billy to Claude Mackalale?
Seriously I honestly am a bit baffled by ‘rules’.
Obviously racism and discrimination is utterly wrong but is it the case that I don’t fully understand this particular issue???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 11:27 #30 by kickergold
Replied by kickergold on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
The problem is always context, which people like to ignore. Black characters historically existed as stereotypes in everything from kids films (Dumbo) to Simpsons (not nearly as egregious but Carl). White characters have very rarely been treated this way, and therefore the cases aren't the same, but people just want to spout off about hypocrisy. Raheem isn't in the right, but people trying to turn this into an example of something wrong in the wider world still aren't in the right themselves.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • 182blue
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
04 Oct 2019 12:10 #31 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
The way Sterling stood up to actual racism directed towards him by some sections of the media was extremely brave and won my admiration.
In cases like this Bernardo one, we are talking about casual racism, stereotyping as a bit of banter.
We all understand the difference.
I see it that the FA are taking a hard line on casual racism, because that would often be an easy defence ie it was just a joke.
The confuaing bit for me is that Kick It Out are clear on this stance and yet are not being backed up on it when push comes to shove.
This then does little to improve the situation.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: kickergold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 12:34 #32 by BlueofBuckshaw
Replied by BlueofBuckshaw on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

Mr Quint wrote: Was I racist to liken Chris Billy to Claude Mackalale?


No, just wrong.

Makelele could only dream of doing as much 'unseen work' as Chris Billy
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero, Dancingbear, cufcmike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Dentonholmersimpson
  • Away
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
04 Oct 2019 12:43 #33 by Dentonholmersimpson
Replied by Dentonholmersimpson on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

Mr Quint wrote: Honestly I may be thick? I really maybe.
I have a friend who is white- he reminds me of Homer Simpson, I’ve said this to him.
I have another friend who is a white, ginger female, she honestly reminds me of Peppermint Patty- again I have stated this? My friend Dan looks like Virgil off thunderbirds (he really really does). He likened me to so called failed footballer Phil Jones? Now then my question is? Are these observations and likenesses racist?
Honestly is it also racist to liken a white person to a cartoon?
I am being serious? The thing for me is did he actually look like the cartoon image? Are people reading in a racist connotation that isn’t there?
Was I racist to liken Chris Billy to Claude Mackalale?
Seriously I honestly am a bit baffled by ‘rules’.
Obviously racism and discrimination is utterly wrong but is it the case that I don’t fully understand this particular issue???



I feel sorry for you.

Must be awful looking like Phil Jones
The following user(s) Liked this post:: kickergold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 13:54 #34 by kickergold
Replied by kickergold on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Yeah, if there was one united front it would clear up a lot. I don't think many rational people want bernardo punished harshly but with context it was a pretty stupid thing to do publicly, group chats exist for a reason.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 14:16 #35 by paddockspark
Replied by paddockspark on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
So how do Michael Jackson impersonators get away with it ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 14:20 #36 by Dancingbear
Replied by Dancingbear on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Wonder how Bo Selecta would get on nowadays. A white ginger bloke dressed up as Mel B would definitely upset someone nowadays.

There's only one way of life and that's your own!!!
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Bruntonpasty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Dentonholmersimpson
  • Away
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
04 Oct 2019 15:44 #37 by Dentonholmersimpson
Replied by Dentonholmersimpson on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

paddockspark wrote: So how do Michael Jackson impersonators get away with it ?


I don't think they count because he was black and white.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: Waltero

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 18:53 #38 by Prawncrackhead
Replied by Prawncrackhead on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

carwash wrote: Bernardo Silva wasn't being racist but he has linked Mendy in the public consciousness to a cartoon character of a big-lipped black boy. It isn't that different from what Danny Baker did. The offence is one of gross thoughtlessness but it still requires some form of punishment otherwise it becomes acceptable.


It sounds to me like your saying its hurtful to a black person to say they look like another black person. Sounds like it's insensitive to remind a black person they are black. Is that not racist?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 00:16 #39 by Bluedazblue
Replied by Bluedazblue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
In Spain, Portugal and Latin America it's commonplace for a person's physical characteristics to be remarked upon.

When I was in Latin America I was routinely called Gringo, (white man), Rubio, (blondie) and Muchacho, (boy). It's par for the course over there. There is no malice intended with these terms.

Terms like 'El Gordo' (fatty) and 'El Flaco', (skinny), as applied to Menotti the former manager of Argentina and even Stan Laurel, are commonplace and are not regarded as offensive in any way. David Silva is known as 'El Chino', the Chinaman in Spain.

Luis Suárez was metaphorically crucified for using a term, 'Negrito' which wouldn't raise an eyebrow in the Latin America. The controversy was probably one of the reasons he left England.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • chedderbob247
  • Offline
  • Youth Team Player
  • Youth Team Player
More
05 Oct 2019 04:22 #40 by chedderbob247
Replied by chedderbob247 on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

Bluedazblue wrote: In Spain, Portugal and Latin America it's commonplace for a person's physical characteristics to be remarked upon.

When I was in Latin America I was routinely called Gringo, (white man), Rubio, (blondie) and Muchacho, (boy). It's par for the course over there. There is no malice intended with these terms.

Terms like 'El Gordo' (fatty) and 'El Flaco', (skinny), as applied to Menotti the former manager of Argentina and even Stan Laurel, are commonplace and are not regarded as offensive in any way. David Silva is known as 'El Chino', the Chinaman in Spain.

Luis Suárez was metaphorically crucified for using a term, 'Negrito' which wouldn't raise an eyebrow in the Latin America. The controversy was probably one of the reasons he left England.


All of this is correct (I live in Latin America), but it doesn’t mean it is acceptable for Suarez to use the term in England. He should be wise to the culture of his place of work and living.

Some things that are acceptable in England are classed as crimes in other parts of the world. If you are going to go to another country, it is your duty to be aware of the customs of that country.

Bernardo Silva is not a racist, what he did was not racist, but it’s not wise for him to have done that in the UK and in the public domain, where it isn’t commonplace and culturally acceptable, as it may be in Portugal or Spain for example.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: kickergold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 08:13 #41 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

deeksme wrote: All racism is awful. But far worse IMHO is the institutional racism in society. The kind that means a white British manager is given more chances or time in football than a black one, for example.


I don't think that's true at all.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: franksidebottom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 10:10 #42 by carwash
Replied by carwash on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

Prawncrackhead wrote:

carwash wrote: Bernardo Silva wasn't being racist but he has linked Mendy in the public consciousness to a cartoon character of a big-lipped black boy. It isn't that different from what Danny Baker did. The offence is one of gross thoughtlessness but it still requires some form of punishment otherwise it becomes acceptable.


It sounds to me like your saying its hurtful to a black person to say they look like another black person. Sounds like it's insensitive to remind a black person they are black. Is that not racist?


I never implied anyone was offended or hurt by what Silva did. But the football authorities have worked tirelessly to stamp out racism yet one unthinking tweet by Silva just undermines their work. You can't have footballers being allowed to make racial comparisons then clamp down on fans doing it. It has to be the same rules for everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 10:16 #43 by nobbyblue
Replied by nobbyblue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
I don't understand people being offended on other people's behalf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 10:43 #44 by Prawncrackhead
Replied by Prawncrackhead on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

carwash wrote:

Prawncrackhead wrote:

carwash wrote: Bernardo Silva wasn't being racist but he has linked Mendy in the public consciousness to a cartoon character of a big-lipped black boy. It isn't that different from what Danny Baker did. The offence is one of gross thoughtlessness but it still requires some form of punishment otherwise it becomes acceptable.


It sounds to me like your saying its hurtful to a black person to say they look like another black person. Sounds like it's insensitive to remind a black person they are black. Is that not racist?


I never implied anyone was offended or hurt by what Silva did. But the football authorities have worked tirelessly to stamp out racism yet one unthinking tweet by Silva just undermines their work. You can't have footballers being allowed to make racial comparisons then clamp down on fans doing it. It has to be the same rules for everyone.


That's my point its not a racial comparison, it's a comparison.
The following user(s) Liked this post:: franksidebottom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 12:42 #45 by franksidebottom
Replied by franksidebottom on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

carwash wrote:

Prawncrackhead wrote:

carwash wrote: Bernardo Silva wasn't being racist but he has linked Mendy in the public consciousness to a cartoon character of a big-lipped black boy. It isn't that different from what Danny Baker did. The offence is one of gross thoughtlessness but it still requires some form of punishment otherwise it becomes acceptable.


It sounds to me like your saying its hurtful to a black person to say they look like another black person. Sounds like it's insensitive to remind a black person they are black. Is that not racist?


I never implied anyone was offended or hurt by what Silva did. But the football authorities have worked tirelessly to stamp out racism yet one unthinking tweet by Silva just undermines their work. You can't have footballers being allowed to make racial comparisons then clamp down on fans doing it. It has to be the same rules for everyone.


It’s not really true that authorities have worked tirelessly to eradicate racism though is it? As a club you get fined more by UEFA for kicking off late in the Champions League than you do for your fans racially abusing players.

As for the notion of “same rules for everyone”, that’s not really true either though is it? John Terry racially abuses Ferdinand - 4 game ban, fan racially abuses a player - lifetime ban.

“Yeah, I know of Barry. Bit of a fantasist” - John Courtenay 2003

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • 182blue
  • Topic Author
  • Offline
  • First Team Player
  • First Team Player
More
05 Oct 2019 13:40 #46 by 182blue
Replied by 182blue on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
The Terry and Suarez incidents were a few years back now.
Since then calls for tougher punishments have been made.
The suggestion is there are problems with racism on social media and in general and therefore they should have zero tolerance on things such as the Bernardo case.
Social media is a problem in general, I think as a minority of idiots aim abuse of various kinds at any high profile figure.
The problem with sorting out racist chanting in crowds is that abuse in general is tolerated in a way it shouldn't be
It shouldn't be OK to call some a jock b or a northern b, ginger t etc really, should it.
A certain CUFC player used to get referred to as a gypsy owing to his appearance.
People used to , at least until recently chant 'get your tits out for the lads if an attractive lady walked along the touchline.
You wouldn't think any of that was OK if someone did it in the street.

Seems that people cross that line into racism , maybe because they are racist, but possibly just as a moment of mindless stupidity.
There needs to be a consistent approach that all players and fans follow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Dentonholmersimpson
  • Away
  • Reserve Squad
  • Reserve Squad
More
05 Oct 2019 17:22 #47 by Dentonholmersimpson
Replied by Dentonholmersimpson on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA
Football is very tribal and like it or not things get said in football grounds that would never be said anywhere else.

Our own paddock is renonwed for being an itimidating atmosphere.

Of course the abusive knuckle draggers and banana chuckers need banned, but as Roy Keane said, we don't want

to lose the game to the prawn sandwich brigade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2019 17:28 #48 by deeksme
Replied by deeksme on topic Bernardo Silva charged by FA

nobbyblue wrote:

deeksme wrote: All racism is awful. But far worse IMHO is the institutional racism in society. The kind that means a white British manager is given more chances or time in football than a black one, for example.


I don't think that's true at all.


Which bit? Because it seems like you're saying either that the sort of misplaced joke from Bernardo Silva or Danny Baker is far worse than institutional racism, or that you don't think institutional racism exists. Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick. I'm guessing you aren't disagreeing with the first four words of my post

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds
Website and all content © Copyright 2019 TheCumbrians.net. All Rights Reserved.